Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had such a blast at frogday this past weekend and I don't think I want to wait four years for it to come this way again. The Northwest has a yearly Frogfest so I think we should too. I would like to put together a one or two day event in the region that would become a yearly event. I think spring or fall is the best time as far as temperatures go and I think staten island was a good central location for the new englanders and mid Atlantic people. I don't think I want to do the lectures, but a one day sale and perhaps a BBQ the following day.

Right now I would like everyones thoughts and suggestions to get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think this idea is great. I agree with Mike about spreading it out so more people might have a chance to attend. (although I loved having it close to me) The people I have met through this are great and actually don't mind me obsessively discussing and looking at frogs. We should definitely make it a regular event.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
No Mike, it has to be on Staten Island for ever and ever and ever!

Snug Harbor was certainly the nicest venue I have seen for a frog show, but I understand why we would need to think about alternate sites (at some time in the very far-off future!)

Take care, Richard.

I like it. But I would recommend a little bit of a rotation. Maybe NYC, Boston, Philly, and Baltimore. Kinda spread it out a little bit.

Reactions: PantMan

·
Registered
379 Posts
I like it. But I would recommend a little bit of a rotation. Maybe NYC, Boston, Philly, and Baltimore. Kinda spread it out a little bit.
That would be cool to see a Frogfest in Baltimore! I had a blast at Frogday too, but the tolls on the way up there and back really sucked me dry haha. This is a great idea and I'd love to see an annual event. Snug harbor was the classiest frog venue I've ever seen.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There certainly is alot of feed back and im sure more will chime in ... Ive been wanting a yrly event for a while . I say go for it and thanks jeremy for the push on this !
Oh, it will happen. I think the first will be near me so I can more easily book a location, hotel, etc. I'll be sure to get Matt's input. I like the idea of moving it around, but think keeping it close enough to have the New Englanders and mid atlantic people would be best. Not sure on a breakdown of where vendors came from, but I know at least five vendors came from north of NY and at least two from Maryland or south.

I am thinking fall might be best. I know i get more breeding this time of year so would conceivably have more froglets available in the fall. I'd also be up for making it bi-yearly if there is enough interest. With Jason and Andy leaving the hobby, the two biggest get togethers in the region are over.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
It helps if you can move it around.. one of the problems with IAD was that the people putting it on, burned out pretty quickly. There are some states that are more amenable to meets like this because of state laws. For example New Jersey is a problem because each vendor would have to have a pet store permit before they could sell at a show. This is why most of the reptile and pet expos are not in New Jersey.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I think having one in Mass at some point (out West near BJ, off 91) might be cool as well. We have some incredible venues that might work, esp. since Shawn's isn't having the annual barbecue anymore.

·
Registered
610 Posts
So perhaps the first step should be to identify person(s) that could host a show in thier respective city or region. Those same host could then form the NE Frogfest Comitee (maybe in conjunction with some respected breeders). Each host would ultimately have responsability for running thier show but other members of the comitee provide a support structure to prevent some of the burnout Ed eluded to.

Of course these are just random thoughts during my lunch break and soon to be self induced food coma, but I thought I would through some idea out to get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
And not air conditioned (if it was, boy, the need to upgrade) - that would seem to strike it out of the possibilities in the future.

s
Just have it in the cooler months then.. There may have also been AC problems because there was that blackout that covered the area.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I like the idea of an annual semi-regional moving Frog show. As Ed mentioned that there is "burnout" for those hosting the show multiple years in a row. Although hosting a show the second time is also easier!

There have already been North East shows in Massachusetts, New York City, and Baltimore. Some other potential cities, based on population (not sure on local animals selling laws) are Philadelphia, Boston, Pittsburgh, Providence, Hartford, Buffalo, and Rochester.

IAD has been around since 1999, and having shows intermittently. I am not sure if IAD, as an entity, still exists. NAAC is also still around, and could perhaps be resurrected in Massachusetts again.

Snug Harbor was very impressed with Frog Day and they are interested in having more frog events in the future, so it is an option as well.

NYC is a very large metropolitan area, with just over 18 million people, which is probably a large contributor to the success of frog day. (I need to look at the surveys to actually see where most of the attendees came from).

I am interested to know the amount of hobbyists attending "private" frog meetings (versus a show) at places like Andy's. It seems that a lot of hobbyists are willing to come in for these semi-annual regional events. Having them turn into a small and short, but publicly open, show and sale might be feasible and also beneficial to the hobby.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Greg and I were talking about just even having an event for a weekend where it would just be workshops or lectures, not nescesarily a frog fest, although that would be great, it takes a great deal fo work to put something like together and i for one am EXTREMELY GREATFUL!!! to Matt for taking on such a task of hosting frogday in NYC.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Matt asked me to lead one of the workshops downstairs at the venue and it was PACKED! I definitely feel that there are a lot of interested people/new froggers that would come to a big public event (but might be less likely to attend a meet that is on someone's home).

I would love to see a time where all the vendor/froggers can spend time together workshopping on different issues in the hobby. So a two-day event would be pretty awesome.

Take care, Richard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.