Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Yuri's suggestions, I purchased a new camera, flash, and macro kit. I was playing with it at the Nat'l zoo after I did some visa stuff at the Ecuadorian embassy. The pictures are in my gallery: http://www.dendroboard.com/coppermine/t ... ?album=251

I'm not really looking for much feedback, I know they're ok, but I need to learn how to use the new camera better. I'll have larger versions of them on my site soon (when Corey finishes them up). Many thanks to Yuri for the help with model selection and Corey for putting the pics up.
j

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Canon D10, 100mm 1:2:8 macro, and a ring flash (or what ever it's called that mounts on the end of the macro lens). I also got some other stuff with the other grip and some other goodies.
j

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some highlights:

For Derek

For the rest of you guys

For the rest you can follow the link above. There's a bunch more, especially close ups and other positions, but I just wanted to throw a few up on the d/b gallery.
j

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone who wants can feel free to fix those links that I some how screwed up...
j

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The flash ring is the macro ring lite MR-14EX. I was amazed how much it costs, but it certainly evens out when you use it. Again, I didn't really know how to use the set-up, but I just figured out that the flash ring has two small built-in flashlights to help focus when it's darker... would have been helpful earlier. As for it being expensive, yeah, I am definitely back into debt, but it will be well worth it to have this on the trip. I have no doubt there may be some pictures sold when I get back...
j

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Look good Justin.
That is going to be a nice set-up for the Jungle.
I was always leary of the ring light because I have been told they evenly light the subject and the picture will look flat. I don't see that at all.
Can't wait to see the pics when you get back.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey justin, your going to ecuador soon? which part? i am writing this from quito internet cafe...spent a few days collecting sylvaticus morphs for the universitat catholica exhibit for coloma...if you are in quito for anytime you should check it out....i got to help build many of the exhibits...you going to the amazon or up north? good luck...ben

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Ben,
I leave the 31st and will be in Quito for the first few days, then off for a few days, the back to Quito for a while. How long will you be there? I'm supposed to be studying under Coloma for my time at the University. Thanks for the comments on the pictures, and I'm glad you liked it Derek. I have a bunch of others of them that will be on the site within a week or so.
j

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was always leary of the ring light because I have been told they evenly light the subject and the picture will look flat. I don't see that at all.
Ringlights these days will allow you to vary the power ration between the flashtubes, thereby creating more contrast if you like. You can get as far as an 8:1 or 1:8 lighting ratio - plenty of contrast.

If you want to go whole hog, you can go for the MR-24 EX which is more like two independant flash heads that also happen to mount nicely and work much like a ringlight does. Justin has a more traditional ringlight, but a very, very good one.

Looks like you are doind nicely Justin.

Yuri

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, that was what I used at the zoo. I need to figure out a lot of different things from the camera. I essentially just used it as a point and shoot and composed the pictures-- nothing technical at all really. I love the way the pictures look at much larger sized than I could post on the gallery-- I'm trying to convince Corey to let me have them that large on the site. Thanks for the kind words, and thanks again to Yuri.
j

1 - 16 of 16 Posts