Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright you biologists types - have you ever wanted to name a species? Well now is your chance! I'm looking for suggestions for both a scientific and common name for my latest creature creation.

I image this is a new species that has been found in a geologically isolated region. It evolved the single "hopper" leg to help it feed on flying insects. I have been creating variations on this body type and will post more if there is interest.

I am thinking of entering this in the Dr. Grordbort's Creature Challenge and backstory and scientific explanation are encouraged, so I welcome and all speculation about this "wondrous new find."

I look forward to hearing from ya'll.

Tookay

Attachments

Reactions: frogface

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I think I saw that in one of the Jurassic Parks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure, ill give it a shot:

Reptantus anthonyi
hemoreptantylus tricolour [or anthonyi]
Finally, a real answer. Nice, thanks Boabab95. I know nothing about species names and am doing good just to remember them. Can you say a little bit about how you came to these names?

Thanks!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Finally, a real answer. Nice, thanks Boabab95. I know nothing about species names and am doing good just to remember them. Can you say a little bit about how you came to these names?

Thanks!
Well, "Reptant" [main word in both genus names] is loosely translated from latin as "creep" because well, i thought it looked a little creepy :p

and anthonyi, because the back looks like its an anthonyi :p

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. So hemoreptantylus loosely means blood creep?

Any ideas on how to work the single leg into the name? Monocruris Hemoraptantylus - One legged blood creep?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Cool. So hemoreptantylus loosely means blood creep?

Any ideas on how to work the single leg into the name? Monocruris Hemoraptantylus - One legged blood creep?
Hemoreptanthylus would loosely translate to "man creep"

if you want "one leg" the closest combined thing i can think of is "unumcrusii" or "unumcrusiofolis" or unumcrus... [you get the idea...]

so, if you wanted "one leg man creep'' i would go with Hemoreptantylus unumcrusii.... IMO...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts