Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone-

I have taken in a Pumilio from a "slower" friend of mine who had it in some pretty bad conditions. He just called it a Strawberry Drat Frog and when I asked him if it was a "blue Jeans" he said that is what it was but I dont know how correct that is. He siad that the frog is about 2-3 years old and that it croaks all the time so I figured it was a male but I haven't heard it croak once, although I have only had it for a few days now. Here are some pictures of him, any help would be great.

Thanks
Frog Toad Amphibian True frog Eleutherodactylus

Toad Frog Amphibian Terrestrial animal True toad

Frog Amphibian Poison dart frog Toad Organism

Frog Toad Amphibian Tree frog True frog

Amphibian Toad Frog Terrestrial animal Eleutherodactylus

Amphibian Frog Toad Terrestrial animal Eleutherodactylus

Amphibian Eleutherodactylus Terrestrial animal Organism Frog

Frog Amphibian Toad True frog Terrestrial animal

Frog Amphibian Toad Poison dart frog Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly your going to have to label it by import year and color...not safe to say exactly what it is...only best guess and we don't want accidental hybrids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I was all stoked to breed it and see these little mothers feeding there tads but then I did some reading and dont think its in the cards. I would never want to cause an impurity in a line. So its now just figuring out what I've got.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Sadly your going to have to label it by import year and color...not safe to say exactly what it is...only best guess and we don't want accidental hybrids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I was all stoked to breed it and see these little mothers feeding there tads but then I did some reading and dont think its in the cards. I would never want to cause an impurity in a line. So its now just figuring out what I've got.
Chris is right, responsibly, you can't ever breed him as you will never know for sure what he is. Sounds like you've accepted that though. No reason you can't just enjoy him!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris is right, responsibly, you can't ever breed him as you will never know for sure what he is. Sounds like you've accepted that though. No reason you can't just enjoy him!
Yeah He'll be great to teach me the general care of these smaller frogs, then maybe someday in the future I can invest in a pair and try my hand at breeding them.

·
Registered
587 Posts
If you are able to find out the person or store where your friend bought the frog from you might be able to trace the line. In till then thank you for being responsible and not breeding it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It does look like an Almirante, but follow the other posts above. Too bad your friend didn't know for sure.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My Mancreeks are a bit more "red" than that guy appears to be. Could just be variations in the morph or photo quality though.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Before tossing an id of almirante/mancreek around based on frogs that have been in captivity awhile, you should keep in mind that the frogs can also have a more intense color if they have been supplemented with astaxanthin, or canthaxanthin found in supplements like the Repashy products or naturose...
and that red pumilio not supplemented with those products will become less colorful....
Ed

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I agree with ed,

Plus how do any of you know what actual morph of pumilio you have unless you purchased them from marcus at sndf????? ;)

Ed

·
Registered
568 Posts
I agree with ed,

Plus how do any of you know what actual morph of pumilio you have unless you purchased them from marcus at sndf????? ;)

Ed
Isn't this dangerously close to feedback? ;)

Ed, I was just observing that it IS visually different than the example of a Mancreek I am familiar with.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If the frog wasn't fed well, how could you throw out the possibility that he is a mancreek? Feed him some naturose or superpig like Ed said and let him color up!

Will

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Ed, I was just observing that it IS visually different than the example of a Mancreek I am familiar with.
I got that, the problem is that you are visually differentiating a locality based on a difference in intensity/hue when we know that these can be modified by diet...

Ed

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Before tossing an id of almirante/mancreek around based on frogs that have been in captivity awhile, you should keep in mind that the frogs can also have a more intense color if they have been supplemented with astaxanthin, or canthaxanthin found in supplements like the Repashy products or naturose...
and that red pumilio not supplemented with those products will become less colorful....
Ed
Yeah as I stated the conditions werent the best for him and I should have included that he was never given any kind of supplement ever and hence might not be as colorful.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I agree with ed,

Ed
IMO, it's questionable even if you have purchased from SNDF.

Reactions: MonarchzMan
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.