Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Does the moss look like this:

If so, I got it at a show once. Stupidly, I let the tank get really swamped and it died back, but I just drained the tank and the moss is starting to revive now. I also have a couple pieces I am trying to culture in other tanks.

G

·
well that looks like pillow moss and you can buy it a lot of places. black jungle usually sells it, and vendors usually have it at most of the shows.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Is it selaginella? I got some from them a few years ago when I had a contact at NAIB. I know they use club moss in many of their displays....or at least they used to.

Justin

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I used to volunteer there... but I'm not 100% on what that specific tank was done with. Lots of selanginellas (multiple kinds), the aquarium also had this dried moss that in the tanks that would come back to life, really awsome, I think thats the moss you are referring too. It looks really nice and feathery when grown out. I'll have to bug the guys at the aquarium about it next time I visit.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
hmmmm..... i'll have to buy some and check it out. The Aquarium bought whatever it was in bulk, I always dug it out of big boxes in the back, we went through a lot of it trying to keep the various drips and what not from splashing on the front glass, it was a never ending battle :)

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
It was completely bone dry. I could pick up a whole box (2ftx2ft) full of it.... and thats saying something since I'm weak lol. You put it in water to absorb water like regular dry moss, but under the right light it comes back to life. Great stuff.

So basically you could bulk order this stuff if you use moss a lot, cover the ground or branches and what not, and in a couple weeks it starts getting green and growing... in a couple months you can have whatever it was covered in nice feathering bright green moss. You don't have to worry about caring for the moss you aren't using, just leave it in the box.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts