Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering if the American toad I saved form being a live BB gun target could form a bond with me and recognize me? It got shot once in the leg once so I went to get him fixed and they said to just let him rest for a week and now I want him to like stay in my hand and jump on my clean floor, I'm bringing him in to school on Thursday for a presentation in the American toad and some care bits. So is it possible for it to bond with me and know who I am? (Sorry for the ramble)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm not sure that a toad would bond with you like lets say a bearded dragon or Chinese water dragon "might" and certainly not as much as a cat or dog but with regular handling it wouldn't necessarily shy away from you either and would readily accept being held on a regular basis.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have two American toads and I wouldn't say a bond but eventually they will realize that your not a threat and your being them food. Fast movements still sometimes scares them. They much smarter then you would think. They catch on faster then anything else I've seen. They also both have very different personalities. One is very bold and and will take food from my hand,poop in the water and likes solid hides where as the other one ther won't touch food until I'm at least a few feet away, won't poop in the water and likes to burry himself in the dirt.

·
Registered
333 Posts
A toad will learn to recognize you, especially if you bring it plenty of food, but it won't bond with you. Toads are not social creatures, nor are they capable of affection. They don't like petting, either.

You should handle your toad as little as possible. When you take it to class, let it sit in a bucket or transparent container with a bit of water, it'll be much less stressed that way. Also, don't let it hop on the floor- there are probably cleaners on the floor that it would absorb through its stomach, which would make it sick.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A toad will learn to recognize you, especially if you bring it plenty of food, but it won't bond with you. Toads are not social creatures, nor are they capable of affection. They don't like petting, either.

You should handle your toad as little as possible. When you take it to class, let it sit in a bucket or transparent container with a bit of water, it'll be much less stressed that way. Also, don't let it hop on the floor- there are probably cleaners on the floor that it would absorb through its stomach, which would make it sick.
I use to think this were true they weren't social creatures but they do enjoy the company of an opposite sex toad in captivity. To answer this question I don't think enough studying has been done on these animals. These are my favorites and I am doing a care sheet on them soon on another source and I'll have to look into it. One toad I had 10 years ago would eat on my hand and I trained it to let me pick it up. It was a pretty good size female. She definitely knew I wasn't going to hurt her and I would let her out of her cage to explore but she never wondered too far. Then when she was in her cage she would hunt the crickets all over again tank. I haven't been able to train another toad to that level but I'm working on one now. I agree you shouldn't handle them unless you need to take them out to clean or for a serious reason.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
It doesnt matter my kind friend. Your compassion surpasses reciprocation to such a vulnerable and venerable creature.

I recently almost lost my life in a routine surgical procedure. During my recovery, I had a dream of animals I had known and helped in my life and in the dream there was a kind of language-less, free commerce of consciousness. Eye pupil to eye pupil I saw some of these friends again and I woke up knowing they knew I loved them. But it was different than our usual knowledge.

On a more 'scientific' note (I guess) being astute to energetic intention is not a far fetched concept. It benefits an organisms survival interests.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
One doesnt need to touch an animal to love it.

Be careful with the holding, touching and dont let him contact household floors as stated previous

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I implore you also to please not allow the toad to be handled during your presentation.

Its an outdated, flawed modality that dismisses courtesy toward the actual Subject of the presentation.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Please excuse the multiple posts, my machine doesnt scroll well at times and I couldnt just edit to add.

I also have special interest in the topic of presentations, whether informal and small circled or entity promoted.

I would like to respectfully disagree with putting the toad in a container of water, however shallow, when traveling or moving or displaying but to use a bed of lightly dampened sphagnum instead. It is less stressful. After your time "on the road" please make sure he can access shallow water feature to sit in at his own volition in his environment, and leave him in peace.

At this time in the world empathy towards other life forms is more important to teach than any single natural history fact, or what an animal feels like in our hands.

The belief that people, especially children cant care and learn about anything unless they can handle it, I have found to be a false assumption. It does not attempt to reach through to a greater potential of understanding. It may require a more dimensional approach, as well as more energy but I can tell you I have seen it achieved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts