Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just found a tiny (1/2-1 cm) translucent worm in the vivarium. I would probably not post this expecting anyone to know what it is because it is so... generic, however it had a tiny black head which I think may be significant. It was on a piece of wood kind of just sitting there, maybe moving its head a bit like a charmed cobra might do.

Any idea on what it might be?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, glass worm sounds reasonable.

I can't get a picture of him, don't have a good macro lens. If it helps he looks like he may be grazing a patch of the "new viv" mold I am currently getting...

·
Registered
568 Posts
You use any unclean products in your "new viv"? If so, I bet nematode. But the cobra swaying screams nemertean.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
never seen a nematode with a black head. The sway back and forth is very common in caterpillars and grubs when disturbed. I see it all the time while log flipping looking for salamanders and termites

·
Registered
802 Posts
never seen a nematode with a black head. The sway back and forth is very common in caterpillars and grubs when disturbed. I see it all the time while log flipping looking for salamanders and termites
I work with nematodes in a lab and they most definitely do the cobra twisting. I agree though that I've never seen one with a black head, but that's not to say that they don't exist.

The worms we work with in the wild will lift up half-way like a cobra and try to snag a ride on a passing animal. Then when they get to a good feeding ground they jump off. That's a pretty ingenious mode of transportation IMO

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now that you mention it, it probably is. I had some in my last tank (albeit they looked smaller to me) and I had gnats like the plague!!

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I work with nematodes in a lab and they most definitely do the cobra twisting. I agree though that I've never seen one with a black head, but that's not to say that they don't exist.

The worms we work with in the wild will lift up half-way like a cobra and try to snag a ride on a passing animal. Then when they get to a good feeding ground they jump off. That's a pretty ingenious mode of transportation IMO
I never said they didnt twist. I am all to familiar with the "proboscis" nemerteans, and remember that movement well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts