Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some large areas of mycelium growing in my terrarium. I installed a small computer fan that moves the air without lowering the humidity in my aquarium thinking that it would stop the spreading of the mycelium but it made it much much worse!!!! How can I get rid of this stuff because its killing my moss!:eek:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have some large areas of mycelium growing in my terrarium. I installed a small computer fan that moves the air without lowering the humidity in my aquarium thinking that it would stop the spreading of the mycelium but it made it much much worse!!!! How can I get rid of this stuff because its killing my moss!:eek:
Hehe, I think I can field this question. I happen to have grown some mushrooms in my day. It would help to know what type of mycelium is growing in your tank, but the only easy way to tell is from the fruiting body of the mushroom. Heat is a very easy way to kill most mycelium. I dont know if your tank has animals or if your plants can withstand it, but 90º+ temps *should* kill it quick. A medium strength bleach solution will work as well. Hydrogen peroxide will slow the growth, but probably wont kill it. Unfortunately a viv is a near PERFECT environment for many types of mycelium to grow and it could quickly take over your whole sub. Try removing large chunks by hand and spraying the rest with diluted bleach or h2o2.

I'll look around and see if there's anything I can find. Usually the advice I get is on how to keep myc alive, not kill it ;-)

Also myc killing moss is odd.. I wouldnt think it would have much of an effect.. I was actually thinking about introducing some edible myc into my viv to see how it would do. Perhaps adding some springtails/isopods to your sub would keep it at bay?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! Yea im not too sure what type it is. I just know that it really is killing the moss that It covers. In-fact it only covers the moss. It looks white and is made up of super thin strands of wed-like strings. I was going to just let it do its thing and flower but its too much.

Maybe I can take a blowdrier to it for a little and maybe same the moss?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the myc is growing and eating the dead matter that is the water logged wood that the moss grows on. The mycelium appears to be some how taking something that the moss needs to survive. The moss is green and very much alive but where the myc is growing, the moss is turning yellow and even brown in a few spots. I will post a photo when I can.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think the myc is growing and eating the dead matter that is the water logged wood that the moss grows on. The mycelium appears to be some how taking something that the moss needs to survive. The moss is green and very much alive but where the myc is growing, the moss is turning yellow and even brown in a few spots. I will post a photo when I can.
A pic would be great. Spray some h2o2 on it and hear it sizzle. 4% (medical grade), not the strong stuff!

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
It seems like removing dead matter is the key to stopping that sort of growth. It sure loves the moist cocofiber which is 'siliconed' to the wall of the viv in a lot of setups. I replaced my soggy substrate with one amended that contained less moisture, stopped daily misting overall (just in selective spots for breeding or that need cleaning), set up extra ventilation and a fan and removed most of it by hand.

Setting up a banana tray in-viv for FFs encourages it as well, so if you do that maybe start the banana off with a sprinkle of yeast first and see that it is ripe so the yeast will stave off the fungi a bit. These changes may help considerably.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Chances are the hypae have spread through most of the soil... So that means fruiting bodies (mushrooms) could pop up anywhere. Are you sure that they are "killing" your moss? That sounds VERY unlikely. Also, please don't spray bleach into your tank. That's just asking for major problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chances are the hypae have spread through most of the soil... So that means fruiting bodies (mushrooms) could pop up anywhere. Are you sure that they are "killing" your moss? That sounds VERY unlikely. Also, please don't spray bleach into your tank. That's just asking for major problems.
Like I said, where the mycelium grows, the moss dies...

Im not going to use anything that will put my frogs or plants in jeopardy. Bleach or any other chemical wont be used in the tank. I think I just might try heat in a focused area where the mycelium is growing at this point.

Mycelium killing moss is has happend to others:

white mold killing my moss, what to do? - Terrariums Forum - GardenWeb

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
The moss may appear to be "alive" as it could be rotting or dying from the bottom to the top, which would result in the appearance that the moss was "alive" and being attacked by the mold.

What kind of moss is it and where did you get it?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Like I said, where the mycelium grows, the moss dies...

Im not going to use anything that will put my frogs or plants in jeopardy. Bleach or any other chemical wont be used in the tank. I think I just might try heat in a focused area where the mycelium is growing at this point.

Mycelium killing moss is has happend to others:

white mold killing my moss, what to do? - Terrariums Forum - GardenWeb
But, these are mushrooms, and not mold. The mushrooms themselves are probably not killing the moss, it would be the hypae if that was the case (but I don't think it is). It sounds like the moss is rotting from bottom to top (like Ed said) and it is being decomposed by the mycelium.

Do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Ohhh, I see. I thought you were saying that mushrooms were spurting out of your moss, but that stuff looks like either mold or a mat of hypae... have any mushrooms grown off of it? If not then it's probably mold.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ohhh, I see. I thought you were saying that mushrooms were spurting out of your moss, but that stuff looks like either mold or a mat of hypae... have any mushrooms grown off of it? If not then it's probably mold.

I think your right. Looks like mold. I have not seen mushrooms from it. I don't mind mushrooms in my terrariums, a little recycling here and there is good but this stuff is bugging me. :confused:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts