Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

Well, I am trying to get back into the hobby! I am not sure how this build will turn out. I bought a Zoo Med 18 x 18 X 24.

A Very nice piece of Ghost Wood from Mike Rizzo. Cork Bark Background. Great stuff pond and stone foam. Faux rocks from Scott Allen! where the water will run down. This is what I have so far!!!

will carve the black foam and put Vivarium Safe Silicone and coco cradle on top of it!! that will hopefully make the faux rocks stand out a lot more.

will update with more photos of further progress next week.

would love some suggestions, or ideas from you. I am going to cut a glass lid for the top!

Glad to be back!!

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good so far. What kind of animal are you thinking of putting in it?

Oh boy... I'm not sure which frogs yet! What do you think? I'm thinking starting back with the basic. Either D. Azureus or E. anthonyi 'Santa Isabel'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have carved the foam, applied the Silicone and coco cradle... Wish the photo showed how awesome the Ghoostwood is. The Faux rocks are really starting to look great!!forgot how much patience this requires!!

Two more days of touch-ups, and this should be ready!!

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The background and hardscape stuff is pretty much done. Have to clean it up a bit and let it sit for a few days, Will order some plants!! not sure what kind yet.Plants are really not my strength!! would love some suggestions or a list any of you would think would go well with this tank!!

I still don't even know what frogs to get for this tank..

Anyway.. hope it looks ok!

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just testing the water feature!! have to work on it some more.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I notice a lot of people do 3 sides of the tank. I only did the back. Should I add more to the sides? All Ive done is foam in the background and shape the foam with a razor blade. It wouldn't be to late to do the sides if thats what everyone thinks I should do.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
It's partly an aesthetic decision, and there's a loose rule of thumb, subject to a lot of interpretation. There are some tanks that don't even have a background. If you're getting frogs known for their shyness, the less exposed they feel, the better off you are. You'll probably see them more if they don't feel very exposed, and have access to lots of hiding places throughout the tank. If you're getting frogs known for their boldness, they typically won't care as much about exposure, so you can get away with less background coverage.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's partly an aesthetic decision, and there's a loose rule of thumb, subject to a lot of interpretation. There are some tanks that don't even have a background. If you're getting frogs known for their shyness, the less exposed they feel, the better off you are. You'll probably see them more if they don't feel very exposed, and have access to lots of hiding places throughout the tank. If you're getting frogs known for their boldness, they typically won't care as much about exposure, so you can get away with less background coverage.
Awesome info! Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts