Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need help!!! I was handling my whites tree frog (Pickle is his name) then he jumped i freaked out and he landed on his back on the floor. he let out I screech and i thought he was dead. It's been three weeks from the incident and hes eating but his front legs don't seem to be moving!!!!! This means he can't climb around in the tank and cant eat properly! Im super worried about him. I miss his bright lively personality and his bright green colour has completely drained. He looks so sad when he tries to walk and climb but can't. Also the reason i didn't go to a vet is because 1. I dont have the money and 2. The only vet that sees frogs is 2 hours away I don't know if I can do anything but my happy boy has become a depressed frog :( I am willing to do whatever i can to help him.

UPDATE: So I took a good look at him and the problem is one of his front legs are paralyzed. This explains why he drags it along when he tries to walk and why he can't climb or eat well. Im going to talk to a professional online about it. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not meant to be harsh or cruel and may not be a popular take.

The frog should have went to a vet following the fall and observation of behavior. Even a general vet should be able to do a generic X ray and at least give you some advice, sign a waiver saying you don't hold them responsible.

Since it has been 3 weeks and you see no signs of improvement taking the frog to the vet, at this point, really does nothing but likely confirm the inevitable. Always a chance but based on the time that has elapsed and the inability or reluctance to pay for care I believe you need to be honest with yourself. At this point signs of improvement/recovery from being "roughed up" should be observed. You stated it has poor color, not feeding normal, restricted movement and overall inability to behave in a natural manner. The outcome is slowly starving the frog or the likelihood of infection occuring (if not already).

Based on your description of no positive signs to recovery and lacking funds for treatment (including follow up and travel related expenses) I question allowing things to proceed in the hopes things get better. The humane thing to do is euthanize with any over the counter benzocaine product or a swift assertive blow.

Take this as a lesson and reevaluate handling procedures of frogs. Really should be very limited amount of times one needs to handle a frog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not meant to be harsh or cruel and may not be a popular take.

The frog should have went to a vet following the fall and observation of behavior. Even a general vet should be able to do a generic X ray and at least give you some advice, sign a waiver saying you don't hold them responsible.

Since it has been 3 weeks and you see no signs of improvement taking the frog to the vet, at this point, really does nothing but likely confirm the inevitable. Always a chance but based on the time that has elapsed and the inability or reluctance to pay for care I believe you need to be honest with yourself. At this point signs of improvement/recovery from being "roughed up" should be observed. You stated it has poor color, not feeding normal, restricted movement and overall inability to behave in a natural manner. The outcome is slowly starving the frog or the likelihood of infection occuring (if not already).

Based on your description of no positive signs to recovery and lacking funds for treatment (including follow up and travel related expenses) I question allowing things to proceed in the hopes things get better. The humane thing to do is euthanize with any over the counter benzocaine product or a swift assertive blow.

Take this as a lesson and reevaluate handling procedures of frogs. Really should be very limited amount of times one needs to handle a frog.
Im going to talk to one of the three vets that would take in frogs. I'm hoping they will tell me there's hope but your right I doubt there is. So I'm going to get a professional opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then please do it. This is a veterinary emergency, and he NEEDS to see a vet. Full stop. This is not a wait-and-see situation.
Im going to talk to one of the three vets that would take in frogs (yes there's only three frog vet I could find in my whole country). So I'm going to get a professional opinion. I think ill need to take him in though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts