Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to post a link to my face book it has my vivarium videos on it i need a little more help unfortunately i made the tank before i found this site so i am wondering what i should fix and what is fine so feed back welcome on this site for it hopefully i can link them with out messing it up :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lmao yeah i needed more room for them and that ledge work well for them at least one yup i am thinking about tearing it all apart and going again now after looking at some of the stuff on here...

·
Registered
802 Posts
I like it. Thanks for sharing. Is the waterfall pouring straight onto the substrate? If you redo it, what kinds of things are you thinking of adding/taking away?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well if i tear it apart ill re do the background with great stuff and also redo how i have the water feature in there i have it currently running off of that ledge and into small rock turtle rock from Exo-Terra i made sure to not have a bunch of substrate under it so it wouldn't kick dirt every where but sadly it is splashing to much water around cause it is too high on the wall didn't think i was gonna run into that so i put some more rock in to block the drop a little bit of LFS to soften the landing of the water till the java moss takes over the ledge. i also wanna take out some of the talansia (spelling sucks sorry) and replace it with a nice creeping vine and also properly mounted broms instead of having them planted into the ground. After doing reserch on her finding they do a lot better off the ground so they don't rot. At the time i figured that if they came in pots they are probably fine in the ground but i guess i have to be doing something at least a little right because almost every brom i have is making pups. but yeah that is a few things i would change but even as the tank sits now i can make those changes with little change to that ecosystem already in place i also have to get glass cut to size on top and put electrical tape on each inside seam to keep fruit flies from escaping.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Those all sound like good changes. When you make the changes, be sure to move the frogs to a temporary tank while you're working in there with great stuff and silicon.

My fear with the waterfall was that it was going straight through the substrate. The substrate is probably wicking water away and becoming saturated. The saturated substrate would probably lead to root rot, which as you already mentioned is something you're aware of. As a side note, do you have a drainage layer like a false bottom or LECA/hydroton? I'm assuming you do, but just want to double check.

What I've seen a lot of people do with water features that might work nicely for you is to provide something for the water to flow on more than it falls. For instance, instead of letting it fall a foot straight down, place a couple pieces of bark to break up the fall so that it's only going a couple inches at a time.

Best of luck! I'm going to be redoing my viv in the next week or two as well :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well i got the wicking to a minimum and yes i do have a a nice drainage layer of hydro ton but thats before i knew about false bottom and all that but again learning. I am starting to figure out more about my water feature so i can figure out what i want to do it i may sell the tank and start over but again not sure

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
a 36x18x36 is a huge vivarium. There's so much you can do with it.

I'd get rid of the water feature entirely (especially if this is your first attempt at a viv). GS a lot of wood at varying levels to allow lots of climbing space and lots of places to mount plants. I feel like there's so much you could do with this tank. It's not that this is a bad tank, per se, but I just see it being so much better after being redesigned.

I'd spend a couple of weeks sifting through build journals here on the board. It'll give you lots of ideas to work with and lots of techniques to try so you're not just shooting in the dark.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts