Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a thread to document my vivariums and how they progress.

Here's my current pair of vivariums. 2x 40x40x60cm. Not the largest but the one on the left has a single D. Auratus Super Blue, and the one on the right houses a pair of red R. Ventris

Recently decided to add a larger vivarium and ordered a 100x40x60cm. Was able to collect it this past weekend, and now it's sitting on my table and I'm wondering how to design and build it :)

Once it's setup it will sit nicely in the alcove in the wall. Intention is to host D. Leucomelas. First step is to install the false bottom and then the initial substrate layer (will be using pond filter foam). But then will have to decide how to go further. At a bit of a disadvantage at the moment as we're in lockdown and shops are closed so I can't visit anywhere to collect suitable wood for decor, so that may have to wait. Want to make sure I use the open space efficiently, and provide height for the frogs to use as well as width.

Hopefully I'll be able to show some progress here soon.....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Today I covered the sides of the vivarium with black vinyl and built the false bottom. Can’t get egg crate over here (eggs get sold in cardboard boxes which wouldn’t do very well in hybrid environment!) so I bought a plastic pond filter and was able to use some creative cutting to get it to fit (ignore the two gaps, I don’t quite have enough so I’ll be improvising there before I put the pond filter foam in )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Reactions: SimonL

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah OK :) problem with the lighting grates over here is they are generally sold in large quantities and not cost effective when you just need a small bit. The stuff I used was sold as a pond filter in a koi shop, largest I could find was 68x40cm, which seems to be a standard size

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Yeah the amount thing. I wanted a certain rigid metal grate - speaking of grates - and can not get it unless i get it how they sell it.

It buggs.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Looking good. :)

What is the black granular substrate?

·
Registered
47 Posts
What’s the background made from? I want to guess peat on foam board but I can’t really tell.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What’s the background made from? I want to guess peat on foam board but I can’t really tell.

They are polystyrene sheets coated with elastopur and peat litter. The shop that supplied the tank offers these as an alternative to tree fern panels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts