Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

So I finally got a couple pictures of my vivarium. When I built it, including the cabinet underneath, my goal was to create an actual piece of furniture that would match my other furniture in my office/den at home. So I stained it a matching color, and it looks pretty close. :D

The measurements of the vivarium itself is about 48" long, 30" high (not including the light hood part), and about 18" deep.

This is the third time I had to re-landscape and re-plant the interior of the vivarium, because there were leaks previously (due to inferior plexiglass on the bottom and back, this time I used glass). I tried various water features in previous incarnations, and they always just ended up being a pain in the ass. :x So this time I kept it simple.

It has a false bottom, with a tube placed so I can siphon water out as necessary. Oh and on the edges of the egg-crate, I put some brown silicone/coco dirt, so the white edge would not show. The background is actually a combo of the foam method, and tree-fern panels (which I had laying around after tearing it apart last time). The substrate on the bottom is orchid bark, with a layer of eco-earth coco bedding on top (I did not think the orchid bark looked natural). Soon I will get around to adding more bark, and some leaf litter, etc.

The plants include 3 bromeliads, a sh*tload of creeping fig, a very tiny aloclasia (sp?) which I teased out of a dead plants roots), an E.T. fern, some java moss (which I want a lot more of), and a few various ferns I bought at Home Depot for 2 bucks each. Obviously the plants need time to fill in.

Anyway, here are some pictures. This project does not look as cool as those european vivs I have seen, but I hope it will look better once the plants fill in, and I have a better substrate with leaf litter, etc. Someday, I want to put some leucs in it. How many would be appropriate do you think?

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
AMAZING! I love that viv, especially the combo of treefern, i wanted to do that for a while but never did. Great wood work also. Shold enter it in future viv contest once it starts to grow in.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I second that, it looks awesome. The only thing you might want to consider is putting something down over the dirt (like the leaf litter you mentioned). Otherwise, the frogs get it everywhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! :D

Yeah I don't plan on getting any frogs for a few months at least. In that time I plan to add leaf litter and some more ground covering plants.

How many leaucs do you think would be happy in this sized enclosure?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi, good tank ;)

for the leucomelas, you can put 6 leucomelas and even a little more, but you must add vegetation, rock, tree... from the ground. Because leucomelas love to climb and then if you think your tank decoration in 3D, you can maximize the territory space and limit the line of sight. Cause the male are very territorials.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I plan to add more plants, on the ground, and I also need some suggestions on plants I can mount on the branches near the top, where it does not stay as humid.

Hmmmm, a tree, hmm? :idea: maybe I will carve a tree stump thing out of a big block of tree fern panel, and put java moss all over it. Attach some tree fern branches. Try to add some 3d aspect to the terrain as you suggest. Oh and I figured I would add a couple of those coconut shell huts as well.

I doubt I will get 6 leucomelas at first. So much money! I was thinking maybe 3 at first. What should the male/female ratio be if I get three? As I said it will be a few months anyway. And when I get close I have to see about getting the fruit fly culture thing going ahead of time. This will be my first experience with dart frogs, and I want to do it right the first time. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oops sorry, instead of tree, i was thinking about lianas :(

if you take 3, you have 75% chance to have at least 1 male and 1 female

* probability to have a least one couple with "n" frog:
1 - 1/2^(n-1)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Steve I got 3 leucomelas at first and ended up with 1.2, and so did kyle. If you want to breed them the secret is a pair, and have lots of bromeliads. Until I seperated mine into just a pair I didn't have eggs, 5 days after I got a clutch of 1, then their next clutch had 5.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For my experience, i have 6 leuco in my tank and i have breeding since the second male start to sing.

Effectively if you want to optimize the reproduction, it's not the best think to have several frog in one tank... cause there is many chance that only one couple breed even if you have several couple, like me.

But to have the best chance to breed leucomelas it seem that 2 male for 1 female it's the best. I have read this before to have mine and for me the breeding start effectivly when a second male start to sing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah I see. First, a silly question: does 2:1 mean 2 males and 1 female? And I have also seen it with three numbers, like 2:1:2 , whats that last number mean then? Is it un-sexed juveniles or something? :oops:

When you say "lots of bromeliads", are you talking ones on the bottom actually in the substrate? or ones up in the branches or background? The reason I ask is that I have not have very good luck with broms that were placed directly in the substrate.

But I thought leucomelas was a ground-dwelling species, am I wrong? And if they DO climb, it would be quite a trick to climb all the way uyp the background, and then climb out on the branch to a bromeliad. At least that's what I had thought. Are the frogs smart enough to be hanging out on the ground, see a bromeliad way up yonder, and make the trek up to it? And then when I feed them, I assume I will put the flies on the ground, not up in the brom. Will they be able to climb down fast enough before the flies scatter to the hidden sections of the tank?

As you can see, I am a novice, but seeking knowledge regarding seemingly basic questions that many of you experts may take for granted. I am grateful for your sharing of such info. :D

Oh on another note, on my lunch break just now, I was outside, and found a whole bunch of cool looking moss. It seems to like shade, and moist conditions, given its location. But there are a few grass pieces mixxed into it, which I will painstakenly remove. Do you think its ok to add foraged moss like this? The actual moss fibers strongly resemble java moss, though it is obviously something different. I gathered a bunch of it in a rubbermaid container (which previously had my ham sandwich in it! I rinsed it out well) and will see if I can get it to survive in my vivarium tonight.

Until next time,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, "x.y.z" mean "male.female.unsexed"

for the bromeliad, they are epiphyte so they don't like to be directly in the substrate, especialy if the is a heater inside.

effectively Leucomelas are ground-dwelling species, but they love to climb and pass many time to climb everywhere. Mine goes on top of the terrarium and on all lianas everytime. They go down to the ground to hunt.

And for the hunt don't worry they are very nimble and rapid.

And for the moss, i use one foraged in forest for my tanks, so there is no probleme, if there is no polution.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Steve,
Nice viv. You are correct! 0.0.4 means: 4 unsexed.

Leucs are very mobile. They will climb up and down the viv. I don't think they will have problems climbing any background wall, but make it easier for them if you can! I would imagine at feeding time they would hop down from the brom and feed. Try adding different sized bromiliads, it makes the viv look more random and natural.

Keep us posted on what you decided to get. I would go for leucs. Nothing as large will utilize the whole tank like they will

-Richard

*edit* If this was a quick draw showdown I just lost. Too slow too post!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Leucs will climb all over that tank. Some bromeliads do better in the ground than others, the problem is usually is the soil is waterlogged. I have a neo. compacta in my leuc tank that they love, and it is bloming in there, and it is doing good because it is not constantly soaked. They will climb up to the bromeliads on the cork.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent looking viv!! I do have one question though....what is that screened hole in the upper left corner? I'm guessing some sort of ventilation? Keep up the great work!

-Bill J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:D

Ok. First, I pretty much have decided on leucomelas for a couple reasons:
1) In my research, they are indicated as one of the better beginner species.
2) They will utilize both the ground level and climb a lot (which I just learned)
3) They are a bigger frog (as far as darts go).
4) My fiance (wedding in Sept.) thinks "those bumblebee frogs are so cute!"

I will definitely add some more bromeliads. Will species like the "fireball" one I already have, be okay mounted on the bare branches towards the top of the tank? The humidity up there is a little lower than further down. I was thinking, do you think it would be okay to plany some of those broms on the ground if I make sure to have very well-draining substrate at the spot they are planted? Like maybe use only orchid bark at the spot? Oh and I do not have a heater in there. The lights keep it at about 78 degrees, and (during the winter) it still stays above 72 - 75 at night.

Or maybe raise them up a bit on a piece of cork bark? I have two large pieces (maybe 18" long by 8" wide) of cork bark laying around doing nothing. They are like half-circle cork pieces, possibly I could lay one down, leaving a groovy tunnel underneath it for the frogs to hide in if they feel like it, or maybe put a petri dish under there instead of one of those coconut huts. What do you think?

Oh, and yes, that is a vent up there on the back wall. There is a hole cut in the glass up there to the size of my computer fan. The fan is epoxied onto the outside, and there is a layer of fiberglass windowscreen, plus a layer of brown needlepoint mesh covering the hole. So I have the fan pulling air OUTSIDE up there, and there is a 1mm gap at the front bottom of where the door goes (not in the picture), where the air comes in. I have the fan on a timer so that it comes on just enough during the day to keep the glass clear of fog (about 85% to 90% humidity). At night it turns off, and the humidity rises to about 95%. So far the system seems to work pretty well.

Man, I really tend to ramble in these posts! :shock:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just one question. Did u make that tank or was it custom?

Also that tank is the $h!? dude, is that ure first, its awesome?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well thanks. :)

Yeah I built it from scratch. And yes it was my first. But I did lots of preliminary designing of it before I started to build it. Lots of planning, especially since I had never done any woodworking of any kind either. I had found a couple examples online of aquarium cabinets, and just used modifications of them. It was a pain in the ass because at the time I was living in a one bedroom apartment, and my living room became a workshop for months! :shock:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts