Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lol: woohoo! Today I finally finished my vivarium! unfortunately i was tired when i finished and forgot to slope the peat! :oops: oh well, it still looks nice, IMHO. I did not use a background, since if i did that would be the money i could ahve for another dart frog 8) . As for my water feature, i didn't have the 30 dollars for the 12 inch stack of slate, so I passed... I am thinking of putting the pump in the gravel and just ahving it as a fountain, to help re-circulate the water... Any suggestions?
I added one large bromeliad, a philidendron, a umbrella plant, spanish moss, 2 unknown tropical plants i bought at albertsons, and an unknown succulent (this guy seems to like soggy soil) I added about an inch of gravel on the bottom, a 70/15/15 mix of bed a beast, peat, and sand (with a pinch of perlite). on top of this I added a thin layer of just bed a beast, and on top of that I added a layer of long fibered sphagnum. Unfortunately the garbage bag of moss i collected in portland may not be good- they are mostly long stranded, and i can see how the fruit flies could easily hide in them. Any suggestions?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
uhm. dont know where you live, but where i am, slate can be picked up along any stream or river bed. and they dont even charge you =) i am using slate pulled out of a river i found in a metro park, and then i boiled them for an hour to sterilize them. i guess the water and the gas to heat it cost a little bit, but the rocks are free....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts