Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Awesome are these going to be your first thumbs? I know how exciting it is, I have some thumbs coming from understory on wed. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome are these going to be your first thumbs? I know how exciting it is, I have some thumbs coming from understory on wed. :)
yes, my first thumbs and my first dart frogs ever! I'm actually also waiting for a Wed shipment from our friend in the north :D

Ugh.. I have to wait till Wednesday to get mine. Beautiful frogs, btw!!!

Alex
Thanks! Yes, next Wed seems never will come... that's why I bought these thumbs to control the over-bred ffs.

I need a trio of those guys. I'm looking to have most of my collections be thumbs.
you realize that they are not summersi, don't you? :cool:

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
You just can NOT go wrong with R. imitator, any of their morphs! I think a pipe dream of mine would be to line up imitator tanks, side-by-side w/ the frog they're mimicking(i.e. R. variabilis, R. summersi, R. fantastica, etc etc)---now THAT would be COOL! *grin*

Congratulations, you won't be disappointed in these guys :)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I have both. I got 5 Understory "Sauce" Summersi just before Christmas, and we brought home 3 young Phil Tan line banded Imitator on Sunday. Amazing how similar they look! We're going to have to be careful taking photo's that we don't mix them up!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You just can NOT go wrong with R. imitator, any of their morphs! I think a pipe dream of mine would be to line up imitator tanks, side-by-side w/ the frog they're mimicking(i.e. R. variabilis, R. summersi, R. fantastica, etc etc)---now THAT would be COOL! *grin*

Congratulations, you won't be disappointed in these guys :)
:D I will just collect the cheaper ones for now...

I have both. I got 5 Understory "Sauce" Summersi just before Christmas, and we brought home 3 young Phil Tan line banded Imitator on Sunday. Amazing how similar they look! We're going to have to be careful taking photo's that we don't mix them up!
Is it generally true that summersi have the orange eyebrow and black blotch posterior to their eyes?
Pictures borrowed from Brad Wilson, DVM's flickr account.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Beautiful brom, even better looking IMI!!!! ;)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Is it generally true that summersi have the orange eyebrow and black blotch posterior to their eyes?
Looks like all my Summersi have eyebrows. Here are a few Summersi shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
BUT, Here is one of the Banded Imitators who has the orange eyebrows, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Beautiful brom, even better looking IMI!!!! ;)
Thanks! I know the picture sucks... will take better pictures when I get a new 7D ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Looks like all my Summersi have eyebrows. Here are a few Summersi shots.
I only asked Phil to pick those ones without "eyebrow", which looks much cooler imo. Not sure if the "eyebrow" is a reliable trait to distinguish them, but here is a quotation from the article by Brown et. al.

"Ranitomeya summersi is considered a Müllerian mimic of some sympatric populations of R. imitator (Symula et al., 2001 applying the name Dendrobates fantasticus) and can be distinguished from these populations by its soft ‘buzz’ call, audible from less than 1 m (vs. loud ‘trill’ call, audible from greater than 5 m in R. imitator). In our experience, the black eye-mask of R. imitator usually does not cover the tympanum, and the black head spot of R. imitator is ovoid, whereas the head spot in R. summersi is pentagonal in shape. Ranitomeya summersi usually has paired black gular spots, rarely present in R. imitator."

so I guess here is the list:
1. size, larger summersi
2. call, louder imitator
3. black mark posterior to the eye, larger summersi
4. black head spot: ovoid v. pentagonal
5. paired black gular spots in summersi

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
752 Posts
He does not have the spots next to his eyes though pumilo....got the eyebrows down though....nearly a master of disguise.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts