Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the middle or beginning stages of creating a 40b vert tank for crested geckos.. I know not frogs but i follow this threads builds because they seem to be the best I've found.

So here goes my build or start.. I first glued several green floral foam blocks together and started t carve using a knife to get a rough shape I then used my fingers/hands to carve and form the rest of the tree. very messy process...

Then i added roots and branches and connected them with a bamboo skewers to help support them and glued them on.

I then sealed it with Drylok 3 coats and then mixed brown paint with some Drylok and did another coat. I have also added more coloring with several different browns.

I started last night created some vines and added a couple to the tree.

next i need to start on the water feature that will go on the left side wall and the rock background.

just thought I'd share :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I can't see your pictures.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
pic 2 now shows "content protected by owner" but the rest came through.

Nice looking tree! The coloring is realistic and I bet they'll love those holes going through the top and bottom.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure they'd love the holes but im covering them with screen as i have a computer fan in the the tree back and will have a fogger back there to so the fog comes out the bottom hole.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
here is a update on my project. I cute a hole in the bottom of the tank. well back for running the cables out for the pump fan and fogger that will be added. which is all hidden behind the tree when in place.

Oh and this was the first time ever i have drilled into glass and i was successful, wasn't hard just time consuming..

I then cut a piece of tubing to run up the side behind the rock wall for the water feature then cut up Styrofoam insulation tubes and glued them to the side.

next i turned the tank on the side to add in the cement for the rock wall/water feature.

one issue i have tho is that the pumps that i have will not push the water to the top.. any suggestions on a pump powerful enough to push water to the top would be great full!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Nice detail! Subscribed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

last night i installed/glued the glass doors in place... I had to make the tree modules as when i put the glass bottom in i could not get it back in because it was to tall to fit.. but so far so good need to clean up the glass and finish the stand and canopy. I'm converting an old speaker to a stand with a cabinet. ONCE THE STANDS DONE ILL PLACE THE TANK ON IT AND PLANT IT..

THIS HAS BECOME A ADDICTION OF A HOBBY i can not stop thinking

about it while at work About the door build i did not buy a kit i made my own. Ace hardware cut the glass for me that was cheep it cost about ten bux for the glass. I also bought the screen parts and put that together my self and epoxied them in place I ordered the e track online as i could not find it any where in the stores near me. buying the parts was cheaper than ordering the kit. to me was more logical to make my own.

Also the doors edges are sharp after they cut them at ace hardware . easy fix is a lil sandpaper and a sanding block run it on the edges a few times. be careful not to cut yourself. main reason for sanding the edges down was i do not want my gecko's to cut their feet on it when clinging to the front glass

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Your triceratops is looking a bit thin, you may want to up the feedings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts