Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have no idea why it's so wet...but let's put it this way, java moss grows throughout the tank easily. and i spray like once every 3 or 4 days.....im not quite sure how to fix this...the water line seems to be below the substrate so i don't get it. anything in particular i should do to fix it?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Depending on how you have arranged for drainage in your tank and what substrate you use, once you get the substrate really wet it can take some time to lose its moisture while you are keeping the tank humidty high. The only short term fix I know is to tear the tank down and start over - which is a big pain. We had this problem with one tank but fortunately we had a moss layer that kept the wet soil from the frogs and the plants just went crazy growing and with time it started to move from being totally soaked to nice and moist (we had a waterfall leaking that led to the soil immersion).

Good luck.

Elmo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the deal right now is that there's LECA with mesh on top of that then the soil....i just don't know why it's so wet. i could put the frogs in another tank and leave the front half of the tank open for a few days with the light still on and see if it dries out?

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Even if the water is not totally immersing the LECA, it will wick up to the soil (usually this is a good thing). If you are willing/able to move your frogs temporarily, you could remove as much water as possible from the LECA layer and keep the top open. But I've found that substrates such as coco fiber when its soaked takes a long time to dry...so not sure about the effectiveness of a few days worth of drying.

Is there a particular reason why you are concerned about the wet soil? Our auratus did fine while the tank was getting drier with time. To be honest they seemed to really enjoy the damp. Probably not the best conditions but they have done very well.

Elmo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's pretty shallow...so maybe ill add a little onto the top....it's not getting drier with time, it's getting wetter actually haha....now there's starting to get a little white fuzz, which i assume is mold, in along with the moss. that's why im concerned. the frogs don't really seem to care from my guess....except for the loss of a tricolor yesterday nothing weird has happened

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Hmmmmm....white fuzz is not a good sign. You would probably be better off replacing the substrate though maybe force drying (once you remove the frogs :lol: ) might clear things up. A big pain though. I hope you didn't lose a frog because it's too wet.

Good luck.

Elmo

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
The java moss is probably wicking all the moisture into the soil.

In my first pdf vivarium attempt, I was planning to have a small water area of about a cup, in the form of a buried dish. Once the java moss grew in, that dish would get sucked dry in a matter of minutes! So I gave up that idea.
Java moss will also wick all the water out of bromeliads, if allowed to grow on them.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
I didn't know that about java moss since I've never used any in my terrarium setups. If java is that good at soaking up the water as was the case with your water area, wouldn't it be keeping the soil dry in this case? Or do you think the wetness merely reflects the flux of water through the substrate to the moss? Just curious.

Elmo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts