Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I set this 20 gal up about 4 months ago as an experiment and soon after put it down in an unheated basement to clean up and take down later...which I never did. After a couple months, I finally got to looking at it and noticed that the moss and other things had really started to grow and take off...so I put a lid back on it and started upping the humidity, as well as adding light again (it was just getting some dim indirect rays from a small window).

I've been thinking the last couple days about adding some M. arauntiaca to this tank, but my concern is the temperatures. Most people seem to have a hard time keeping things cool enough, but I'm wondering if temps in the unheated basement room where this tank is will actually be too COLD for mantellas? Temps are generally around 60*F and can rise up to the mid (maybe high during the summer) 60's. I suppose at night temps drop down in the high 50's, especially in the winter.

I know there is a small handful of mantella keepers on here, so I was curious as to your thoughts on this situation?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Are those temps you quote inside the tank or in the basement?
Here are some recommended temps for Mantells aurantiaca, from Marc Staniszewski's book:
night temp (minimum) 59F, night temp (max)68, day temp (min)64, day temp (max) 74.
These are some guidelines, mine generally are warmer than recomended, and they are doing fine.
It the temps you gave are for the basement itself, by the time you add lights to the tank, it should be just about right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, those are actually from inside the tank. I'll keep a closer eye on the temps and see what the specific range is so I have a better idea.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
That is one of the best scaped tanks I've seen...nicely done. If the temps work out, I can't wait to see the splash of live orange hopping around.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
WOw

I think the mantellas would love it in there. I saw a post by Mark Stanazewski on another board and he was in Madagascar looking for Mantellas. He some out by a stream and the temp was 4C. I'll try and post a link to the comment he wrote.

Here is a comment by a breeder in the UK about M. aurantiaca
Hi Dave,
I currently have them at about 22-23C with a night time drop to about 20C, they dont have additional heating so it is preaty much down to the room temperature, during winter they got down to 19C day 16C night.
Here is Mark comments:
Another thing to try would be to give them a cooler, drier period from December to March, around about 16 - 18°C. I have visited their highland habitat near Andasibe in Madagascar and the nighttime lows during the cool period can drop as low as 4 - 5°C. Another reason for cooling them down is to give the females a rest. They can literally burn themselves out if the produce too many clutches.
Hope that helps.
Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone. Dave, that info is very helpful and it seems that some arauntiacas would do pretty well in there. However, I can't really afford obtaining any at the moment...or any time in the near future (unless prices drop substantially, but I don't see that happening). So it may just have to remain a pipe dream for a while.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Well

Actually there are some really talented people on dendroboard who are captive breeding M. aurantiaca's. Devin Edmonds is for sure and I think pastorjosh may be as well. It is good to see people with an interest in these animals. I am hoping to pick up (5) M. aurantiaca from Devin soon, and I have to say that they are very reasonably priced. PM him and check out his photos. He is really doing a nice job with them, I hope he keeps it going, I would just hate to see Mantellas fall to the way side. They are a frog that needs more exploration by people interested in frogs.
Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts