Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok for the 4th and hopefuly last time tonight (photobucket kept locking up my browser)

My quarantine viv build thread
I could not find a suitable container with a seal to keep bugs in sooooo I made one here goes.

1. Rubber door seal from Lowe's

2. Sterilite 27oz container

3. Line the lid with rubber seal

4. Dremal the top inside ring out. Yes I wore safty glasses (you only get 2 eyeballs in life)

5. Trim excess plastic with sharp utility knife, notice the saftey kevlar cut resstant gloves ;-) Yeah you get 10 fingers in life but my job doesnt like me to be cutting up my hands and STD don't pay enough lol

6. (No Photo) Sand about 1/2 inch wide around the inside rim.

7. Silicone your mesh fabric (I bought Tulle at a walmart that sells fabric, not all walmarts have the good craft section) to one edge let cure for about 2 hrs then silicone oposite side let cure for about 2 hours then silicone last 2 sides and let cure till funky smell is gone.

Add....
Few layers of heavy duty paper towel (something that wont fall apart)
A corner full of sphagnum moss
A hardy easy plant in a sterile pot (pothos or philodendron)
I sterilized the plant the pot and used fresh soil mix same as I would use in a viv.
A hide
A water dish

Walla your new 27oz quarantine viv is ready and bug proof

I hope this helps someone I had a few pics to look at online and ideas from others but all in all there was no spelled out QT Viv thread.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok sorry all I rotated the Rubber seal pic on my hard drive and in photobucket and deleted from photobucket and reuploaded and its still upside down sigh dumb computers lol
LOL got to be smarter than the computer.
I made copy on hard drive then saved it to photobucket as copy.
:p take that computer ur still only as smart as the user.... uh am I still typing out loud... dam

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hi Chad,
Not sure why you added a vent, the lid that came with it would have worked fine.
I would pull the plant out and use cuttings from it. Also, some leaf litter would be beneficial.

-Beth

·
Registered
34 Posts
i dont think you needed to make the vent so big, its going to be tough to keep the humidity up to the levels you need.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I would think you'd have trouble keeping the humidity up with a vent that large. On a QT tub I wouldn't use any ventilation at all. Also, there's very little risk of your frog running out of air in there... even without a vent. Opening the lid once a day or so will suffice.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hrmmm I guess I will have to keep an Eye on the humidity.
Makes sence as well The Viv has a small vent and is almost completely sealed.
I can get new lids if its an issue.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so as many of you had stated I could not keep humidity in the QT tank for more than 60% for 5 hrs
Luckily I know a walmart employee so I got new lids :)
Reused the rubber seal and were good to go.
Thanks for the heads up everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.