Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've picked up 10 Phyllobates Vitattus, 5.5.0 :D. The males are calling almost constantly, so that's exciting! Anywho, I really don't know just how ongoing this will be, but I thought you all would be interested in seeing my progress.

1. Acquire tank.

2. Install Hydroton (roughly 17Qt)

3. Lay down screen (2 layers)

4. Place in 2 bags of ABG mix.

5. Spread ABG mix evenly

6. Spread about (2) gallon bags worth of leaf litter (one live oak, one magnolia. One more on the way.

7. Install plants, waterfall, and wood features

8. Install frogs.

Thanks for looking!
Mark

EDIT: Sorry for such a wide angle on the last one. The only lens I had at hand was my Tokina 11-16mm F/2.8. My Sigma 180/3.5 1:1 Macro will be available tomorrow for some shots. :)

OH! And I've since added multiple film canisters and a few home-made coco huts. No petri dishes yet, but I've put film canisters in them for now until I can find some or something with a suitable lid becomes available. :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Awesome! Got any pics of it's future inhabitants?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're actually current inhabitants. You can see one of them on the leaf in the center of the last image. I should be able to pull out the macro lens and get some better shots today!

Mark

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up getting A FEW shots of a female today. I must have done a better job in the construction than I thought, I can never see more than 3 of the 10 at a time, if I'm lucky! This girl has been sitting on this leaf for most of the day, though, with a male behind her. The center of the plant has a film canister in it, and the male is staying quite close to that. So, maybe she's either laid her eggs, or is about to. She seems quite plump. :D

Anywho, here are the photos. :)

Shot with:
Nikon D300s
Sigma 180mm F/3.5 EX DG HSM APO IF Macro
Manfrotto Tripod

1/80s, F/8, ISO640

Nice side shot.

The only thing about having an aquarium vs a terrarium is that the front doesnt open. It's quite a shame, too. I have to take the lights off the top, open the top, wipe down the front of the tank quite intensely with a dedicated froggie rag, then race to compose, focus, and properly expose (the camera overexposes these guys sometimes because of the black on them. I keep it on spot metering, and the black causes issues once in a while.) all before the glass fogs back up. It doesn't get too bad for about an hour, but I already have to fight with the diffraction because of the tank being a bow-front! It's going to be quite a challenge photographing these guys! But, I think their first session turned out okay. :)

Mark

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
First off let me say great shots. I can't believe how big the eyes are. I havn't really noticed yet with my p vittatus just how big the eyes are.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
AWESOME Pics. These are really an under rated frog IMO.

PM me who you got yours from. I've been thinking of setting up a group of them.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Mark....you're "allowed" to post / tell everyone, you got them from me. ;)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Amazing pictures!! Didn't know they looked so beautiful as mine don't come out as much.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Colleen: Mine aren't out all that much either. Granted, they are new to me, though. At any given moment, I can see 2-3 of the 10. At feeding time, they seem to just come out of nowhere and take control. :lol:

Here's some more photos from today!

Mama's about to Pop!

I presume this one's got eggs he's watching in there.

6 images, manually stacked.

Updated FTS: another gallon of Magnolia leaves were added.

Thanks for looking!
Mark

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics. The legs are so blue!! You have a very nice camera, which I do too, but am learning how to use it. Keep up with the pics and hopefully eggs to come.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you both! I'm enjoying taking photos of these guys. My cameras been mounted on the tripod infront of the tank just incase I see a shot. It's a fun time for me.

@Colleen, I do have a nice camera, but by no means are these photos the way they are because of the camera. You could give my camera gear to someone inexperienced and the photos would be horrible. One must know what they're doing to get great shots, especially in these conditions and with a 180mm macro lens. Great photos are the product of a great photographer, not great equipment. I know you didn't mean anything cross by it, butni just wanted to say that to clear some things up for the rest of this thread.

By the way, for everyone, feel free to check out the rest of my work at: JPG: People: Mark White

Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thank you both! I'm enjoying taking photos of these guys. My cameras been mounted on the tripod infront of the tank just incase I see a shot. It's a fun time for me.

@Colleen, I do have a nice camera, but by no means are these photos the way they are because of the camera. You could give my camera gear to someone inexperienced and the photos would be horrible. One must know what they're doing to get great shots, especially in these conditions and with a 180mm macro lens. Great photos are the product of a great photographer, not great equipment. I know you didn't mean anything cross by it, butni just wanted to say that to clear some things up for the rest of this thread.

Could not argue with your statement and exactly my point I thought I wrote. I have a expensive camera and have not had any training per say on it and the pictures show! I need to take a class, etc. Your photos are of excellent quality. I am jealous!! Photograghy 101 here I come :p

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@frogface: I actually have no idea. They had it for 75% off at my LFS in their terrarium dept and I picked it up. I soaked it for about a week (to get rid of tannins), then took it out and baked it at 450F for 15 mins to make sure it was safe.

@Colleen: Sorry about that! I must have misread your post. :) But if you really wanted to save some time and money, you could always browse around and join the community I'm a part of at www.thephotoforum.com/forum . I've never taken a class, just trolled around and asked tons of questions on that site. There's some great people there. It's kind of been overrun with newbies (no offense :mrgreen: ) lately, though. So if you decide to join, make sure whoever you get your info from is reliable and good luck! I can answer about any questions you might have as well if you want to PM me with any of them.

Thanks again!
Mark

·
Registered
658 Posts
Appreciate the info. I just wish my husband would have the time and both of us can get better acquainted with my NiKon 5000. I will look into that web. THANK YOU!! BTW, I think my P. Vittatus is reading over my shoulder as 2 of them were out last night and I could actually see their coloration. They are about 9-10 months old and he is calling up a storm.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts