Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my oyapok's tank. Its still under construction, but I think its already pretty cool. I love making ledges with cork. It adds depth to the tank and provides a cool place for plants. The hole on the right is waiting for a jewel orchid (on the way). I need to add some more plants, but I usually keep my tanks pretty simple. You can see this style in my other tanks (for example http://dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43). I love very green moss and seem to have a knack at keeping it alive. Some people like the simple look, others think it looks like a sterile hospital. I like representing two or three types of plants/broms in each tank, which are easily viewable. The frogs have a little cave on the right, but are usually hanging out in the open. You can see the dendrophlanx lindenii (ghost orchid) hanging on the left. It seems to be very happy. It would be so beautiful to see an oyapok hanging around a blooming ghost! Enjoy :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Very nice. How do you keep the cork bark ledges to hold up? Do you bury them?

Also, whats the small plant on the bottom. Earthstar?

Thanks.
M.N

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Yeah same question how you get them to stay upright. And of course i have to say thats an awesome tank.

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just seal the edges with silicone and cover it with coconut fiber. I do it on all edges and deep divots to keep the frogs safe and cause it looks pretty seamless. Once the baked clay settles everything stays put. I do bury the base, but that is so water wicks up the cork and waters the plants.

·
Registered
170 Posts
hey hickson

do you have water underneath your moss in the aloflor? I making a new tank and i dont want a water feature but i need high humidity. is that what you do and if not u think that would work?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The aliflor will work great, just seal up the tank (of course make a nice door) and fill up the aliflor with water about 1/2 way up. When the water level gets too high, I just use a thin airline to siphon some water out of the base.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
re: oyopock

Looks great Joe! There are many advantages to your style of setups....for one the frogs are very visible! They look great! That cryptanthus bivitattus is doing well also I see- nice red color= good lighting. Keep it up!

Justin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts