Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the tank build thread. Well, not the whole tank, just the front. :D

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/77051-my-first-diy.html

And now I'm filling it in. Except for the glass, silicone and magnets, everything else I already had on hand. Trying to do this cheap! The plants were purchased at Lowe's a few months ago, 2 plants on sale for 1.50 each. I split them up to put in the viv. The rocks were scavenged from unused tanks, sanitized with bleach. Every thing was sanitized with bleach. :p

Pictured is the substrate and first planting. I had an awesome piece of wood that was perfect for a pond divider. Now, tree frog people, don't start PMing me. I understand that my Super Tiger Monkey Tree Frogs are not the best swimmers, and, I've learned that crickets aren't either. This 'pond' is really more of a rock garden. There will be a little bit of water under the rocks, but, none at the surface. I have a very nice, 4' or so, vanilla vine that is growing hydroponically. Wanted to be able to keep it growing in water because it gets pissed off when you change it's conditions.

The Vanilla and the wood are being brought over from their current tank. This is a little nerve wracking because they have nemerteans in their tank, now. The wood was soaked overnight in a strong bleach/water solution. Then overnight again in clean water with dechlorinator added. Then baked on my porch for a day. Then left on my heat vents for a few days to dry out. Today, they've been in the oven for 5 hours. The Vanilla will get a careful scrub and bleach bath.

Now, Ed warned me that I still might bring the nasty worms over from their tank. I'm really hoping not. :eek:

Ok here are pics so far.

FTS

Bottom screen. I wanted to make sure my frogs had good ventilation

Pond/rock thingy

Floor shot

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Looks awesome Kris! Are you going to put any vines across the viv up higher as perches? I'm sure they would love it and it would be cool to watch them doing the monkey frog shuffle across the viv:)

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup! I'm trying to figure out how to position the wood branches now, but, it will go from top to bottom and across. I grabbed some long vines of pothos from the ladies at work and then there's the Vanilla vine that will originate in the pond and vine up the branches. :D

(you can see the pothos waiting, to the right of the tank)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think because you have so much room above, you might be able to do a branch crossing in the upper middle of the tank (Suspended in the air by siliconing sides to glass) like I did if you want to.

This could make more space above (more usable space)

Mine looks really cool and I was able to plant way more broms.

only an Idea, but it works very well from my experience.

My post:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/tree-frogs/77261-green-tree-frog-viv.html

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think because you have so much room above, you might be able to do a branch crossing in the upper middle of the tank (Suspended in the air by siliconing sides to glass) like I did if you want to.

This could make more space above (more usable space)

Mine looks really cool and I was able to plant way more broms.

only an Idea, but it works very well from my experience.

My post:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/tree-frogs/77261-green-tree-frog-viv.html
Yea, I tried to do that but this is heavy wood and I needed to be able to rest the weight of each piece on the wood below it. So, now the overall weight is on the bottom piece of wood (each piece siliconed there), which rests on the LECA drainage layer, and the ends are siliconed to the glass.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I like the way you have the branches--does the silicone actually hold the wood in place once the tape is removed-or are you going to also use GS or Gorilla Glue. Some advice on which to use for permanence would be welcome--since Silicone doesn't always "stick" to glass...but yet there is advice from posters to use silicone before applying GS as a background. And you wonder why people, like me, get so confused and hesitate to take forward steps!!!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope so, Judy S! The weight of the wood is on the bottom of the tank and not the sides. I was able to balance the wood there with no silicone. So, I'm hoping the silicone will secure it enough for frogs to climb on it without being crushed in an avalanche of branches.

I'll be checking it for sturdiness before I add the frogs, for sure. :D

Judy, I've learned that you just take in the information from the board, mull it around, and, then do what makes the most sense to you.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Planted and leaf littered. Next pictures will have the inhabitants. Maybe next weekend, or, whenever it's cured.

The plants look sort of jumbled right now, but, they'll straighten out once they start fighting over the light. The Vanilla grows pretty fast. I'm hoping it will out grow the pothos so I can yank that pothos out of there. I'd really love a viv filled with Vanilla vines. :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
When you say "vanilla vine" is that the orchid "vanilla"? The next time I build a tank, I would like to do so without the GS or any background. Sure would be a lot more simple.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you say "vanilla vine" is that the orchid "vanilla"? The next time I build a tank, I would like to do so without the GS or any background. Sure would be a lot more simple.
Yes, the orchid Vanilla. I got some nice pieces from Oak Hill Nursery a couple years ago. I was killing it piece by piece. Tried all kinds of ways to pot it up but nothing worked. Eventually I tossed the last piece into a vase of water and this vine grew out of it. I put it in the tree frog tank and it took off!

Some day I'll make a Vanilla grow out tank. The vine and leaves are just so pretty.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Nice! I like the simplicity. Vanilla orchids are super cool too. I wish I still had mine :(

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Hi Kris,

It looks great! Your tree frogs will love the wood and planting. I really like the vanilla Orchid and it grows like a weed.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I like the way you have the branches--does the silicone actually hold the wood in place once the tape is removed-or are you going to also use GS or Gorilla Glue. Some advice on which to use for permanence would be welcome--since Silicone doesn't always "stick" to glass...but yet there is advice from posters to use silicone before applying GS as a background. And you wonder why people, like me, get so confused and hesitate to take forward steps!!!
Hey Judy, If you have had problems with silicone not sticking to glass, then you didn't clean it properly. Try wiping it down with rubbing alcohol first. Silicone sticks incredibly well to glass. It is what they bond fish tanks with. I attach cork bark to the walls with silicone all the time. I also attached some pieces of rather heavy ghost wood to my walls the same way Kris did. Had tape running all over the viv and everything.
Kris, when I did it, my concern was the silicone eventually letting go of the wet wood. To take care of this, I built up little "dams" or shelf bracket-like bumps of silicone under the ghost wood. So even if the bond to the wood releases over time, they are still sitting firmly on the silicone dams. I'll see if I can find pics but they are on a different computer.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey Judy, If you have had problems with silicone not sticking to glass, then you didn't clean it properly. Try wiping it down with rubbing alcohol first. Silicone sticks incredibly well to glass. It is what they bond fish tanks with. I attach cork bark to the walls with silicone all the time. I also attached some pieces of rather heavy ghost wood to my walls the same way Kris did. Had tape running all over the viv and everything.
Kris, when I did it, my concern was the silicone eventually letting go of the wet wood. To take care of this, I built up little "dams" or shelf bracket-like bumps of silicone under the ghost wood. So even if the bond to the wood releases over time, they are still sitting firmly on the silicone dams. I'll see if I can find pics but they are on a different computer.
I think I get what you're saying about silicone brackets. A raised ring below the wood so that if it releases it won't slide down the glass? I don't think it's too late to do something like that. I was also considering covering the joint between the wood and the glass with clay. Can hang more vines from them and it will do the same thing as your silicone dam (if I'm picturing it right).

Maybe I'll do both! :D

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I think I get what you're saying about silicone brackets. A raised ring below the wood so that if it releases it won't slide down the glass?
Yes exactly! It sounds so much more clear when you say it. I think that means I need another coffee!--Ahh, that's better! (got my coffee!)

I don't think it's too late to do something like that. I was also considering covering the joint between the wood and the glass with clay. Can hang more vines from them and it will do the same thing as your silicone dam (if I'm picturing it right).

Maybe I'll do both! :D
I don't think clay will do much to support should it give way. I think you should do the "both" option. Silicone to grab and clay to cover. What I did was to hang some long fibered sphagnum moss over the joints to cover the silicone and give me a place to nestle some live moss.
Here are some pics of the four pieces that were siliconed in. I first cut the ends so they had a good smooth attachment point. The first two are also supported by the lower eggcrate but the second two are heavy, yet totally supported by the silicone on the side walls. They holding up great many months later. The last couple pics are all I could find of the actual dams. They look sloppy because they were near the back and hard to reach. I trimmed them up with a razor blade but have no pics of that.
On picture number 3, between the "V" in the cork bark but further back, you can also see where I siliconed a piece of cork bark to make a suspended shelf running side to side. They love to play on that.

Attachments

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You should have seen it while they were drying. Duct tape all over the viv. It would have looked very familiar to you, Kris.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts