Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
after awhile i got the dimensions and the plexyglass here it is 30 in long /12 in wide / 17 in high

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thin plexi will warp with high humidity. So may want to plan a glass top.
Otherwise.. i cant wait to see it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Even thick plexi glass will warp under vivarium conditions. The material will absorb more moisture on the inside of the viv than the outside because of the difference in humidity, which causes the bowing effect. The fans might help, but eventually the plexi glass will bend to the point where the occupants could escape. I strongly suggest going with glass (at least for the lid).

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Even thick plexi glass will warp under vivarium conditions. The material will absorb more moisture on the inside of the viv than the outside because of the difference in humidity, which causes the bowing effect. The fans might help, but eventually the plexi glass will bend to the point where the occupants could escape. I strongly suggest going with glass (at least for the lid).
What about people using them for fish tanks? That's a lot of moisture.
I know what you say is true tho but its weird tho that people can use it to make fish tanks.

What about true acrylic sheets?

·
Registered
47 Posts
What about people using them for fish tanks? That's a lot of moisture.
I know what you say is true tho but its weird tho that people can use it to make fish tanks.

What about true acrylic sheets?
I don't know a whole lot on this subject, but my guess is it has to do with the pressure that the water puts on the plexiglass. This acts against the material's desire to bow inwards towards the moisture.

As far as acrylic goes, I think it's less susceptible to bowing, but will still bow. If I remember correctly there is something called lexan which does not act this way when exposed to moisture. Take all of this with a grain of salt though. I'll research a bit more and see what I can find.

·
Registered
446 Posts
In a fish tank the humidity is allowed to escape.. even though yes it is full of water the humidity on the top piece of plexi is nil as it is fully open or has several cuts etc. We are packing humidity in to ours. Typically also acrylic for a fish tank is extremely thick to hold the weight of the water compared to what people use for vivs. You will see several posts on the forum about peoples acrylid lids bowing.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i used acrylic for the first few builds i was working with do to ease of workability... they have ALL failed sorry, i just dont see it worth my time, everything is glass now. cost is really close to the same glass vs acrylic... just tools and patience is needed with glass. Good luck and hope you figure out a better solution than we have to keeping it from changing shape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts