Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up 2:1 Mantella (baroni) madagascariensis frogs at the Toronto reptile Expo today. I will have picks up soon. They are wc, but because they are my first frogs I could not afford to spend 50$ over 30$ for cb (what are the negatives of keeping wild cought?). If anyone has experience with these frogs I would tips advice or even stories.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
you probably would have come off cheaper going with cb animals. wc usually have an enormous parasite load and getting rid of the parasites can get pretty expensive. The stress of long term shipment and moving often can do them in as well. Not trying to rain on the parade, but wc animals can be a challenge for someone just starting out.....especially the chams.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MBMcEwen said:
you probably would have come off cheaper going with cb animals. wc usually have an enormous parasite load and getting rid of the parasites can get pretty expensive. The stress of long term shipment and moving often can do them in as well. Not trying to rain on the parade, but wc animals can be a challenge for someone just starting out.....especially the chams.

man, I must need some sleep. I don;t know why I mentioned chams....yes I do, it was madagascar....anyway, just thought I would amend. Sure would be nice to have an edit button....ahem ahem :wink:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Who did you buy them from. Its pretty tough to get cb baroni (or any mantellas for that matter) here in Ontario that i know of; but if you did manage to find them, the money would definately be worth it.

Aside to what Matt said, CB ones also tolerate heat better.

M.N

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Moe I got the painted mantellas from a vendor that came in from Montreal. Mark Pepper from Understory Enterprises has some mantella legavata available, but no one else had painteds cb. Mark also has cb golden mantellas to be available in a couple months. At first the frogs were literally jumping all over the place, but today I have only seen one in the mouth of the coco hut. Moe, were you able to get your mantellas to breed? Well I hope it does not cost me more in vet bills but if it does its part of gaining experience. Any more tips from baroni keepers?

·
Registered
487 Posts
No, i was never able to get them to breed because i wasnt 100& sure i had a pair. Only my aurantiacas have ever called anyway.

M.N

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the guy who sold them to me said it is easy to distinguish between the sexes because the females are larger and more robust, while the males are obviously smaller and narrower. I believe I can tell the diffrence between them too. Not expecting any calls soon, but I hope so one day.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have 10 total WC mantellas, M. baroni and M. viridis. I have had them for 8-9 months now. I lost one and that was when I went away for christmas and they got too cold. I kept them in lightly planted tanks for 2 months so I could observe them more easily and then moved them to their permanent homes. They are actually pretty bold for mantellas and have recenetly been observed breeding. They call frequently and have given me no prblems whatsoever. I do caution that I am experienced in dealing with WC frogs and reptiles and fully understand the consequences of dealing with them. I seem to have better luck with difficult herps then I do the simple stuff like leopard geckos so I am an oddity in the hobby.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well the female had her problem with her nose, but she is recovering fine now. I have seperated the trio because one small male (I think) was getting bullied all the time. I'm planing to get them all in a thirty gallon soon. These are my first frogs and I am enjoying them very much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya, I really like them. The problem is that I have to move them to the basement for the summer because it gets too hot in my room. This sux because they will be stuck in a corner and I will not be able enjoy them as much as when they were in my room :cry: .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts