Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just finished setting up my new 30g Hexagon tank yesterday. I was really excited to start this setup and it turned out to be one of the best tanks I have done. I wanted it to be visbile from three sides of the tank and use it as a display tank. After finishing it I was stunned at how it turned out. I got some inspiration from others on the board. Sometimes you have a certain visual in your head and I think this has come the closest to what I was visualizing in my head. I only have a camera phone to take pics so they are not too detailed. If you click on the photos they look better. I guess it shrunk them because they were too big.

Currently it is not occupied as I have not decided what to put in it. I have a few choices of frogs. What should I put in it: Orange Lamasi, Standard Imitators, El Dorado Trio, Banded Luecs, Yellow Terribilis, or Brazilian Yellowhead Trio? Enjoy the pics and feedback is welcomed. Thanks.

Front View

Right Side

Left Side

Top View

·
Registered
635 Posts
Very Nice:D Something different than rectangular cages. Imitators varaderos would look amazing in there

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very Nice:D Something different than rectangular cages. Imitators varaderos would look amazing in there
Thanks. I thought about doing another rectangular viv but the hex just looks so slick. I am leaning more towards my Imitators right now. I just got them and they have been calling non stop. I'll probably decide sometime later this week. Hopefully more people give their feedback. Thanks again.

·
Registered
527 Posts
awesome tank nate! looks really nice. it'd be cool to get some trailing vines running in between the broms on that log too. i have some aeschynanthus (spell?) or peperomia that'd fit there nicely. let me know if you want some cuttings.

i'm with you man. those IMIs would go great in there. maybe hide some film cans on the back sides so they don't take away from the look of the tank and you can get some extra breeding sites for them.

makes me want to do a hex =) my racks are getting full, but that would look great on a night stand or end table in the living room.

-brett

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome tank nate! looks really nice. it'd be cool to get some trailing vines running in between the broms on that log too. i have some aeschynanthus (spell?) or peperomia that'd fit there nicely. let me know if you want some cuttings.

i'm with you man. those IMIs would go great in there. maybe hide some film cans on the back sides so they don't take away from the look of the tank and you can get some extra breeding sites for them.

makes me want to do a hex =) my racks are getting full, but that would look great on a night stand or end table in the living room.

-brett
Thanks Brett. I didn't put any vine type plants in because I didn't want them to take over the tank. If we meet up soon I'll take a cutting or two of a Peperomia or something and see how they work. I think I will put some film cans in the back if I do put a thumbnail species in it. I want it to be visually pleasing but also get breeding activity if I can. Hopefully they will use the broms. If I put the Imis in it I will let they tank raise because I don't want to be overrun with froglets. Plus it just seems cooler that way.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Absolutely sick! I love these types of setups, because they can be viewed from all sides.

I give you two thumbs up my man!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Absolutely sick! I love these types of setups, because they can be viewed from all sides.

I give you two thumbs up my man!
Thanks. That is the look I was going for. Got some inspiration from a museum that had insect terrarium setups. They were all hexagon tanks that could be viewed from all sides. And I've also seen some other DB members post tanks with the center stump/tree idea. It's gonna make a great display tank. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it grows in a little.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Will look awesome for sure once it grows in.

Just curious, I believe it's a begonia of some sort, but what is the plant you have in there on the left side? It looks like a maple leaf outlined in red.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I love how straightforward and uncomplicated this is while remaining very well planted. More and more, I'm liking the no background look,,,especially when done as well as yours!

Well done.

·
Registered
507 Posts
great job Nate

Imitators/Lamasi will be your best choice, but they will poop all over the walls and track algae, moss, etc. so you'll be cleaning more if you want to see the tank in it's pristine condition you enjoy now, but then again all great froggers have at least one algae encrusted tank.

Eric

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
great job Nate

Imitators/Lamasi will be your best choice, but they will poop all over the walls and track algae, moss, etc. so you'll be cleaning more if you want to see the tank in it's pristine condition you enjoy now, but then again all great froggers have at least one algae encrusted tank.

Eric
Thanks Eric. I think I will put the Imitators in the tank, but I still have to silicone some some areas to cover tiny little gaps between the center hinge and glass. Before I put them in there I am making sure that this thing is escape proof. Thanks for the nugget of info on the droppings and algae being left all over the place. I have little to no experience with Imis. The holding tub they are in now is covered with little droppings on the leaf litter. For such little frogs they make a big mess. To help with the algae growth and droppings I'll probably get one of those magnetic glass cleaning things that are usually used for fish tanks. Thanks again Eric.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Awesome enclosure and choice/distribution of broms. How many imitators do you have going in there? What is the plant you have on the far right side with large, palmate green leaves?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will look awesome for sure once it grows in.

Just curious, I believe it's a begonia of some sort, but what is the plant you have in there on the left side? It looks like a maple leaf outlined in red.
Is you are referring to the one that looks like the one of the left side it is a Rex Begonia of some sort. I should have kept the tag that came with it. I planted identical plants on both sides.

Awesome enclosure and choice/distribution of broms. How many imitators do you have going in there? What is the plant you have on the far right side with large, palmate green leaves?
The one that is right infront of the begonia in the back is a Fern. I got it at Lowes and it was only labeled "Fern Foliage". I have been trying to find out the name but have not been able to find one.

Sorry I can't give you better info on the plants. If I find some info on the web I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
874 Posts
love it..........

Just finished setting up my new 30g Hexagon tank yesterday. I was really excited to start this setup and it turned out to be one of the best tanks I have done. I wanted it to be visbile from three sides of the tank and use it as a display tank. After finishing it I was stunned at how it turned out. I got some inspiration from others on the board. Sometimes you have a certain visual in your head and I think this has come the closest to what I was visualizing in my head. I only have a camera phone to take pics so they are not too detailed. If you click on the photos they look better. I guess it shrunk them because they were too big.

Currently it is not occupied as I have not decided what to put in it. I have a few choices of frogs. What should I put in it: Orange Lamasi, Standard Imitators, El Dorado Trio, Banded Luecs, Yellow Terribilis, or Brazilian Yellowhead Trio? Enjoy the pics and feedback is welcomed. Thanks.

Front View

Right Side

Left Side

Top View

·
Registered
164 Posts
Is you are referring to the one that looks like the one of the left side it is a Rex Begonia of some sort. I should have kept the tag that came with it. I planted identical plants on both sides.
That's the one! It is so awesome, I need to get some. Remember where you got it by chance?

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's got to be some kind of rex begonia. I was trying to find it our, but I had not luck. The only one that I could find similar were those.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.