Dendroboard banner

My modified false-bottom

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
One thing that has bothered me about the false-bottom system was that it was pretty ugly, with the eggcrate visible and all the junk underneath. This time I decided to use a different system. First I took 3/4 pvc and made a drainage system. Imagine a ladder with many rungs of pvc tubing, its cheap and easy to use, no need to use glue as a friction fit is plenty sufficient. I drilled several holes in the bottom of the pvc. At one corner of the ladder there is a vertical pipe up to the top of the vivarium, through this you can siphon off the water for changes, or better yet a Wet-vac, no need to drill holes in the glass bottom. Wrap that "ladder" with weed-block garden fabric, and cover with hydro-ton pebbles and a blend of coconut fiber and Scotts aquatic plant soil.(its a fired clay product that won't break down and facilitates drainage. Coconut fiber background, with cork, and lots of plants later, I am ready to get the frogs tomorrow at the Tampa show

G
#4 ·
the way around that

the way to get around the "ugly" false bottom setup is to simply spread brown or black 100% pure silicone on the inside with a putty knife and trim off what you dont need with a razor. it blocks view of the underside of the false bottom and from the outside it looks like soil if you use the bronze color. It is inert and wont poison the water or anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.