Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really surprised this morning and I thought I would share with you guys. I have been raising frogs for a couple years now and never seen this, nor knew they did this so I am kinda surprised.

My leuc im guestimating hes about 3 maybe 4 months old at best was doing a dry heave motion and opening his mouth and I noticed a little twig was stuck in the side of his mouth.

I watched him for about 5 minutes do this and I was kind of concerned so I got him out of the tank and removed the stick from his mouth.

Well as soon as I did he leaped from my hand all the way to the floor. I picked him up and he was lifeless. I touched him rolled him over in my hand and nothing.

I put him back in the tank and watched him for a few minutes and not a single movement he just layed there lifeless.

I went downstairs to go sit outside and be upset ofr a few minutes and came back upstairs to get him out of the tank and hes hopping around eating flys.

I was so angry:mad: he tricked me but then very happy that hes still alive. :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had a BYH do that to me about a month ago. I did some reading and from what i gathered its a cal def problem you may wanna up his supplments for a while. My guy came to me malnurshed i think he didnt make it.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Your frog was shedding its skin, which they eat, which is done daily, it is the protective layer frogs put on during sleep periods. Then you came along and scared him and he either feigned death or the more likely scenario is he had a little stress induced seizure.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He had a stick in his mouth he was holding his mouth open and kept trying to grab it with his arms. I know what shedding is. He gets fed daily with rapashy calcium + dusted flies so I don't see how it could be a cal deficiency

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The stick stuck to the skin , and the strange movements are him shedding, using his front feet to remove debris as well as pull the skin towards the mouth.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Funny how the OP has been raising frogs for a few years now and knows the background story to his own frogs yet other board members seem to indefinably know the reasons as to why the frog acted the way it did...

@OP: Good to hear your frog is ok! Now teach him how to fetch. :p

·
Registered
436 Posts
Funny how the OP has been raising frogs for a few years now and knows the background story to his own frogs yet other board members seem to indefinably know the reasons as to why the frog acted the way it did...
There's no presumption that the OP actually has all the information he needs, which is probably why he posted in the first place. Don't people come here to learn, anyway? Shame on him for being wrong!

And I would have guessed calcium deficiency as well, because this happened to me. I've never seen my PDFs shed though, although when I kept RETFs, they did it a lot so I saw it frequently

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Is it possible that this frog actually had a stick in his mouth? After watching mine eat, it doesn't seem out of the question. :p

I think it was probably shedding too, though. The dry heave stuff makes me think so. OP, have you watched this guy shed before? When mine shed, I've seen them suck all kinds of stuff into their mouths, along with their skin.

Dunno, just glad he's ok now. :D

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

We all come here with the basic mindset to learn about and enjoy working with frogs. I can say myself that I am still learning about Dart Frogs and the many other Animals I have worked with and bred over the years, My first pair of Darts was in 1979, so I have seen a Lot of behaviours over the years and still have to learn more as one can never know everything.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funny I was thinking the same thing :D.

I actually myself have epilepsy so I know all about seizures. If the frog did have a seizure. He def had a petite mal and not a grand mal as he was as still as he could be :D

I am just glad he is ok. I do not feel it is a cal def considering that I feed the little guy daily with calcium + other multi vitamins. I also feed springtails as well.

I do not feel he was shedding his skin considering the twig was logged down his throat and he was failing both arms at the stick.(it was not stuck to his skin it was down his throat)

He was heaving obviously because it was gagging him. I am thnking a piece of substrate got stuck in his mouth from eating.

This forum is a great place to learn a lot and I have learned quite a few things on here from reading others experiences. However one thing I do not like is the fact that if something you post sounds like something else everyone is quick to shout out at times miss leading info

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
Frogs can evert thier stomachs... so it is hard to believe that it was really gagging him since that response typically is followed by eversion of thier stomach.

Even if you feed the frogs daily with a supplemented food it doesn't mean that they can't have a calcium deficiency since
1) they could eat the majority of thier food post grooming off dust (which wouldn't be surprising given that most frogs in the hobby are fed to obesity)
2) primarily feeding on other prey species (springtails)
3) doing both...

4) how you keep and handle the supplements has resulted in a more rapid breakdown of the supplements resulting in conditional deficiencies.

As for the whole I dust so it can't be idea.... If we look at the total diet and the result is that there is an improper ratio of calcium to phosphorus or A to D3 to E, then it can have a deficiency even if you dust every day.

Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts