Dendroboard banner

181 - 200 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I love all the updates. Even after you say you pull bags of plants, that Alocasia plant almost always stays the same size and the same location. I really need to keep mine trimmed, but I have my in a standard 30gal aquarium. My next frog will be the p. Vittatus. I know it's not rare, but there's just something about them I love. Still no sign of the borja ridge vents?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm going to give up on pictures. In the fourth picture down what is the plant to the left of the Episcia, and what is the small round leafed plant left of the watermelon Pellionia?

Thanks,
Vladimir.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
not sure what plant you are talking about. I don't think I have any watermelon peperomia. in that pic I see 2 round leaved plants. if the leaf is slightly fuzzy then it is a self seeded sinningia, if it is glossy looking then it is a begonia with a red underside to the leaf. I like the begonia but it is somewhat aggressive and grows to big like many begonias.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
I still haven't seen the bora ridge vents in a long time. I think they died out. planning on one more group of them to see if I can keep a thumbnail in the large viv. did take a few pics at feeding time today to show I do still have frogs in the viv.

·
Registered
140 Posts
not sure what plant you are talking about. I don't think I have any watermelon peperomia. in that pic I see 2 round leaved plants. if the leaf is slightly fuzzy then it is a self seeded sinningia, if it is glossy looking then it is a begonia with a red underside to the leaf. I like the begonia but it is somewhat aggressive and grows to big like many begonias.
I looked up the plants and that is what they are, thanks. You are correct you don't have Peperomia Watermelon, but you do have Pellionia Watermelon (or Pellionia Pulchra), you have some of it by the Syngonium, and some more by the Sinningia; in an enclosure that large I think it would be pretty difficult to keep track of every plant you have in there.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
pretty difficult? I used to have pages of maps with everything I put in drawn on it. now I just throw out the tags and enjoy the general look. most often I can remember what something is if I really need to do so.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Can I ask whats the overall dimensions of the tank? Interested in doing an even bigger tank one day. Also how do the species interact with one another?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Apart from the fact that it is a mixed viv - justified by the huge size, without adoubt, although in this respect I would put in any case only a small group of terrestrial frogs and two species of arboreal frogs of different species so they cant mix, as pumilio and ranitomeya - this thread is for me a 5-star+ thread.
Greetings

·
Registered
172 Posts
Apart from the fact that it is a mixed viv - justified by the huge size, without adoubt, although in this respect I would put in any case only a small group of terrestrial frogs and two species of arboreal frogs of different species so they cant mix, as pumilio and ranitomeya - this thread is for me a 5-star+ thread.

Greetings

With enough experience and space it would be fine to mix frogs of different species as there is no chance of then crossbreeding or hybridizing if I'm correct? The only possible issue would be aggression.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Exactly the opposite, imo. Indeed, more space less chance of aggression, but the same risk of hybridization. Experience, you say? What do you mean? How can the experience of the breeder to prevent unwanted hybridization if he mixes frogs that can hybridize?
Now excuse me, but I will not say anything else about hybridization - a subject that bores me terribly.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Exactly the opposite, imo. Indeed, more space less chance of aggression, but the same risk of hybridization. Experience, you say? What do you mean? How can the experience of the breeder to prevent unwanted hybridization if he mixes frogs that can hybridize?

Now excuse me, but I will not say anything else about hybridization - a subject that bores me terribly.

I'm confused so wait is it better to mix frogs that are of the same species as in dendrobates tincs with leucs etc vs different species like raintomeya with oophaga?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
I don't consider myself an advanced keeper. this is one hobby among many. I could definitely have hybrids occur. they will have no effect on anyone unless you come here and are offended by pictures. I wont let any frogs leave here. I do occasionally see signs of aggression between frogs but it is rare. the mix I have my be why I don't see any young except for the vitatus.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Easily, by far, the most beautiful setup I've ever seen. Between the freshwater planted tank, the sw reef, the crazy, huge viv, and everything behind the scenes, I was in hobby heaven. Still smiling. Thanks for the tour skanderson. If you ever need slave labor, seriously, call me. It would be a labor of love. :D

181 - 200 of 205 Posts