Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my first 4 orchid blooms so far. I have a ton of other species, so I'll be adding to this thread as I get more down the road.

Everything was shot using my Canon Rebel xti, reverse mounted 18-55mm stock lens (super closeups), and 100mm macro lens for full flower shots. Pics range from 4-10 shots stacked, all using CombineZM (free stacking program), and so far have been shot using my homemade lightbox.

Cirrhopetalum Pulchellum

Leptotes Bicolor

Masdevallia Floribunda

Phalaenopsis Parishii

Used the reverse 18-55mm for this shot, and only a single exposure. Not very happy with the original photo quality and detail. Must have been some vibrations during the long exposure, and ALL the sensor dust was visible. Needed a lot of tlc in Lightroom to make it post acceptable lol

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bud. I hope I get more soon! I took a quick once-over of my grow out tanks and dont see anything new budding up yet. Lots of new growth though so that is a good sign.

Also, I won me a sweet auction item on ebay right after I posted this thread. I bought and old Spencer microscope to take apart and modify it for photo stacking purposes. The microscope barrel will be removed and replaced by an aluminum bracket to hold my camera, then the distance from lens to subject can be fine turned and changed using the microscope dials. Then the subject is placed on the "table" which has 2 more degrees of motion. Should be fun and I'm looking forward to working on the retrofit!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Amazing pics bro......Love stacked photos so much depth.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha Mike, its not that hard. I can see by your photos you already have the "eye" for taking a nice picture. Here is a copy/paste of an old post of mine explaining the settings out quickly.

"ISO - This is the sensitivity setting of your camera's digital sensor (this used to be the film, now cameras use chip sensors). The lower the number, the lower the sensitivity. Higher iso values will degrade the quality of the image (higher amounts of noise), however it will allow you to take shots that you might of not been able to without using it. I will be taking shots of the milky way in a few weeks, so I will need high iso values to capture all the tiny dim stars.

Shutter Speed - Amount of time that your camera has to capture the light. The higher the shutter speed value, the less time it uses to capture the light. A value of 1000 actually only means it captures the light for 1/1000th of a second. A value of 2, means half a second. A value of 2", means 2 seconds.

Aperture - This controls the size of a hole that lets light into the camera. The lower the "f" number on the camera, the bigger the hole gets. A value of 1.8 is a very large hole, and a value of 32 is super small. Aperture and shutter speed work hand-in-hand to let the correct amount of light into the camera. This "hole" also controls depth of field (amount of the subject that is in focus)...A larger hole will only allow a very thin section of your image to be in focus (maybe just the eye of a frog). A small hole will allow much more of the subject to be in focus (perhaps the entire frog)...Keep in mind that a small hole means less light, therefore longer shutter times are required.

If you want some extra info just ask. I could talk photography for hours, as it is my new found passion besides frogs"

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amazing pics bro......Love stacked photos so much depth.
They do give nice depth, but in reality I could probably capture each flower with a single long exposure. The reason I like focus stacking is because by using a large aperture, you can decrease the depth of field and keep the background nice and blurred. This makes the subject POP way better.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
They do give nice depth, but in reality I could probably capture each flower with a single long exposure. The reason I like focus stacking is because by using a large aperture, you can decrease the depth of field and keep the background nice and blurred. This makes the subject POP way better.
Yea there is a friend on a reef forum that shows a lot of his coral pics stacked....There is just something about stacked photos though.

·
Registered
725 Posts
sorry for the noob question, but what are stacked photos? i'm assuming multiple photos stacked on top of each other to increase depth?

Sorry, i dropped yearbook/ photography class after first semester haha

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry for the noob question, but what are stacked photos? i'm assuming multiple photos stacked on top of each other to increase depth?

Sorry, i dropped yearbook/ photography class after first semester haha
They are multiple photos taken at different focus points, then combined together on a computer. The program selects the most "in focus" parts of the seperate images, then aligns and blends them together. You can either rotate the lens ring to select different focus points, or move the camera. Right now I use a tripod and move the lens focus ring tiny increments, but once I get the microscope I will be using the fine gears to move the camera instead.

·
Registered
725 Posts
thanks for the info man. maybe someday i'll get a good camera and learn how to take nice photos. That's for a time when i have money though lol. Great shots man. Is there anything you're not good at???

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was bored and wanted more practice so here is another image dump. These are all of a new bloom from the Cirhopetallum Pulchellum. It seems I get an extra petal for every new flower the plant puts out. Looking forward to 10 flowers from now!

7 images stacked

15 stacks

This is about as close as I can get with focus stacking. The frame is no more then 13mm across. I think about 15 images stacked also.

Underside. 10 images

And this is at max magnification without focus stacking. Not bad for a stock lens and a 6$ reversing ring. Frame is about 7mm across

I also have 2 different orchids with flowers coming up. Pictured is a Bulbophyllum Makoyanum nubbin, and the other not pictured is a Bulbo Dentiferum I believe :)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Bulbophyllum Makoyanum has finally opened. Super difficult to get a good stack of due to the long wobbly stem.

No stack on this one.

Here is a bonus bloom from a little Neoregelia Lilliputiana that is in one of my grow out tanks. Dont need much room for it though. The lens cover is only about 2.5"

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you want some really good photography videos, search Karl Taylor on youtube. He gives small tidbits from his dvd's. Once you get used to his accent, everything he says is really quite helpful. I have watched all his dvd's, even the modeling ones with advanced lighting and stuff.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Beautiful orchids just as magnificent and colorful as PDFs. Do any of those species do well in a terrarium setup?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Beautiful orchids just as magnificent and colorful as PDFs. Do any of those species do well in a terrarium setup?
All of these are grown in small 10 gallon tanks and I plan on adding most of them into my large viv. They all require slightly different conditions, but with planning they should all do well in a viv setting. High humidity, good airflow, and good drainage should promote healthy orchids. To much light is an issure for most of my orchids, so they need to be placed under broms and outcroppings to provide them with shade. Im not a pro at all tho, and to be honest most of these blooms are by fluke lol

·
Registered
725 Posts
great shots once again GRIMM! some mean person gave your thread one star rating, so i rated it 5stars to counter-act their rudeness. You're welcome :D

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So here is a brand new bloom for me. Only reason I found it was because it was the very last orchid to be planted in my new tank :) Just lucky timing I guess!

Yes its very small!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
great shots once again GRIMM! some mean person gave your thread one star rating, so i rated it 5stars to counter-act their rudeness. You're welcome :D
People be hatin' on my 5 star thread ratin's....lol

New bloom for me! All credit goes to the peninsula. I only stacked the shots and refused to play with any color/contrast/clarity levels. Im on the absolute worst computer screen right now so hopefully my glass captured the colours well enough. Click the images to unstretch the pics

Sophronitis Brevipedunculata.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts