Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm fairly new to the forum and the hobby, I just want to share my VIV's with you guys, and recieve some feed back.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks pretty good! My first general recommendation would be to use more leaf litter, it will increase microfauna populations and give the frogs a place to hide.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thinks for the input. I can get that right from my backyard. There is a nice tree it has tropical looking leaves. The leaves never decompose. Would lots of leaf litter kill my moss? I paid $30 for the live tropical moss from black jungle. The other moss is that frog moss from t-rex its doing great.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This answer doesn't fit all situations, but in your case I would compromise and put 50/50 coverage minimum for leaf litter. The moss will die back, but keeps spores, so could eventually come back if you moved some into another viv later. I have small chucks of moss in some of my vivs and I noticed spring tails do thrive in it - hence why I think your ok to keep some in your tank. As mentioned already, the idea of leaf litter is to improve the biosystem in your viv and give frogs hiding and egg laying media. Its also enjoyable to watch frogs hunt in the leaf litter.

Take Care
Scott

·
Registered
158 Posts
Someone actually said that moss is only good for backgrounds, and that leaf litter is good for the ground. I actually though that tropical moss was going to die real fast.
That is a generalization - I think the point they were prob making is for you to put priority on leaf litter over moss. Moss is more visually appealing than leaf litter and its what most people are familiar with. They do this to the detriment of overlooking a key element to a healthy frog viv and thus may never realize the full benefit of leaf litter.

Appears you have good plant growth for hidding spots... add another coco hut or 2 and should give plenty of security to your frogs (assuming you keep 40-50% of moss coverage

In my vivs I have had good results making ledges that can hold a mix of peat, charcoal, leaf litter and pine bark. Then cover it w a thick chuck of live moss. Every other week i put a small cucumber slice or melon husk chuck, which makes a great feeding site for micro fauna.

The frogs sit on the moss in same spot zapping spring tails as the come up through the moss.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts