Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading for for quit some weeks now on how I could make a nice vivarium today my first vivarium will finally arrive. I bought a tank of 100x40x50 cm, together with light, a misting system and all the necessary stuff for making a background and false bottom etc.
Because there are a lot of active enthousiastic people here on the forum I thought lets make a thread on how I progress making this vivarium. This will be fun for others and probably good for me while others can give some advise.

So the beginning of this week I started with some preparation. I mounted inside an old Ikeadvd rack the pump for the misting system and some sockets for the electrics.

Next to it I assambled a industrial rack in which I want to place my vivarium.

Because the vivarium comes without lighting cap I had to make something for myself. So I took the top planl and covered it with alluminium sheets and mounted two T5 bulbs on it.

Im pretty happy withthe end result of it. And as you can see if I want more vivariums in the future I have some extra place for it :)

The next step will be making the background I hope to have some time for it during this week.

Grtz

Ray

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here's an update. Unfortunately I damaged my tank while lifting it and thought I had to stop the whole project. The side glass plate got damaged but with some silicone and the way the glass broke I was able to repare it and make it water tight again. But I felt so silly one lesson I learned NEVER and NEVER try to lift a vivarium which is "quite"big on your own.

So I have placed a lot silicone and after I put water in the viv to see if there were any leakaged and fortunately there was not a drip. Therefore I continue with my project although I feel pretty angry about my mistake.
The above picture was taken after I treated the 3 side of the viv with GS.

This evening I cut out all the smooth areas of the foam and I think after I'm ready with final cleaning I can place the fake bottom and start treating the background with elastopur.

In the left corner I placed a tube with a valve so I can easily sifon excessive water from the viv. On the bottom I placed about 1.5 cm of tempex so the viv comes closer to the lights.
I don't think the light will be an issue but the temp is a bit low. I monitored the temperatures but max I got 22.4 deg C at the bottom. But I will keep recording it for the next couple of days. I will also make something to cover the top so the warmth stayes there, but maybe a small computer ventilator is need to blow the warm air into the viv.

Soon I will post more

Grtz,

Ray

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I have placed now some Aquarium gravel in the viv and should add the bark but have some doubt on how much I should place.

But my biggest doubt is how to continue. Leaf litter is on its way but should I start adding some plants I have some nice broms tillandsias and orchids and so, here's a list:

Orchid Dunesii
2 x Bromelia Vriesea
Thillandsia Pleurothalis
Ficus Pumila
Bromelia Vriesea Splendesn
Bromelia Neoregelia Fireball
Hydrocotyle cf.tripartia
And some Java Moss

I thought lets put the Hydrocotyle close to some wood so it can grow around the wood and ground. And try to let the Ficus grow on the brackground up. So I would place it inside the aquarium gravel.
The orchid and tillandsia are so tiny that I don't know how to get the loose of the wood it cam with (maybe someone has any idea)?

The orchid Dunesii

Tillandsia

So if anyone has some ideas feel free to opt them here I'm always open for suggestions and good advise.

Grtz,

Ray

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,
For now great job!!!(y)(y)
Are you sure that the last image is a tillandisia? I would swear that it is a kind of mini orchid.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
For now great job!!!(y)(y)
Are you sure that the last image is a tillandisia? I would swear that it is a kind of mini orchid.
You are 100% right apologies for the wrong info. I understood themessage from the saler wrong. Using google and his message it is a Orchid Pleurothalis (so sweet and wonderfull plant)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
So I have placed now some Aquarium gravel in the viv and should add the bark but have some doubt on how much I should place.

View attachment 295432

But my biggest doubt is how to continue. Leaf litter is on its way but should I start adding some plants I have some nice broms tillandsias and orchids and so, here's a list:

Orchid Dunesii
2 x Bromelia Vriesea
Thillandsia Pleurothalis
Ficus Pumila
Bromelia Vriesea Splendesn
Bromelia Neoregelia Fireball
Hydrocotyle cf.tripartia
And some Java Moss

I thought lets put the Hydrocotyle close to some wood so it can grow around the wood and ground. And try to let the Ficus grow on the brackground up. So I would place it inside the aquarium gravel.
The orchid and tillandsia are so tiny that I don't know how to get the loose of the wood it cam with (maybe someone has any idea)?

The orchid Dunesii
View attachment 295430

Tillandsia
View attachment 295431

So if anyone has some ideas feel free to opt them here I'm always open for suggestions and good advise.

Grtz,

Ray
Vriesea Splendens will grow quickly too large vor that size of vivarium, just a warning :) I'd recommend another sp of bromeliad for your tank.

You don't need much bark, just a thin layer here and there..

Add plant's first, leaflitter last :)

I think there are some orchid mounting tutorials on Youtube, it will explain how to remove it from the wood.

have fun planting!

Reactions: RGilbers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ Tijl What do you think should I put more gravel at the back as well to make it higher there?

And should I put some "terrestial plants" as well?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is also a Vriesea, but which one? I have two of them and want to place them together in a group of three. But there are so much Vriesea's

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I added today some plants, I hope it's enough. I will let them adapt in the viv for a while and if needed I can add later some more plants I guess.

Leaflitter will arrive later today together with some hiding places andso. Lets hope for the best!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bromeliads in the soil ahve never worked for me :( always seem to rot and die very fast. Maybe try to attach it to the piece of wood next to it?
It was in soil as I got it. I was always in the assumption that brom did not grgow in the soil but in a thread here on the forum I was told thats not true but depend on which type of brom it is.
If it doesnt work I will do as you wrote but for now lets see what happens for the sake of fun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im all for trying things out :p most of my plants I sort of just try and see what happens. I think the soil it came it probably was some sort of coco bark that drains well, but only one way to find out if it works like this

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes indeed only one way to find out :). If not I'll buy a new one and see if I can attach it some way to the piece of wood.

Any opinion about having more plants? It looks so open.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bromeliads in the soil ahve never worked for me :( always seem to rot and die very fast. Maybe try to attach it to the piece of wood next to it?
I think the only bromeliad that is grown well buried is pineapple. "Ananas comosus"

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok well in that case I need to think about something on how to fix it to this piece of wood. Some spagnum moss around the roots and use fishing line? But do the roots get eventually into this piece of wood. Because I would like to get rid later of the fishing line.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ok well in that case I need to think about something on how to fix it to this piece of wood. Some spagnum moss around the roots and use fishing line? But do the roots get eventually into this piece of wood. Because I would like to get rid later of the fishing line.
Yes, but they take time and sometimes they never quite get to the wood.
What I do, Although it is laborious, you can with a drill make the holes in the wwod in the right position where you want your bromeliad to point. And put the "stolon" in the hole.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Agreed!

OP: drill a hole in the wood and plant the stolon (the long hard piece that sticks out at the bottom) in the hole. You can mount the bromeliads anywhere in the tank this way :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts