Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I slapped together my first viv yesterday. Please give me pointers!

It is an 18" cube Zoomed. That plants are, well, I don't really know. They were all on sale for 1.99 at Pikes. I know there is a brom of some type, a begonia, a peperomia, some type of fern, and I think Wandering Jew? Not sure.

Pebbles as a base with needlepoint screen over them.

I attempted to make my own substrate, but I left the coco fiber in the bag. So it is a mix of about half orchid bark, then equal parts charcoal, oak and maple litter I hand crushed from the yard, and sphagnum moss I also hand crushed. Topped with magnolia leaves, also from the yard. I am pretty lucky when it comes to trees.

The background is a zoomed cork board.

I ordered a 12watt LED zoomed hood from lightyourreptiles. I hope it is enough, if not, I may order another.

I plan to add a couple of rocks and a piece of wood in there somewhere. It looks plain in there to me. Oh, there are 4 bamboo sections in there (also from the yard) that will hopefully be utilized as less ugly coco huts.

Finally, I ordered cultures of springtails and Iso's to seed the tank with, and some ff culturing supplies to get me started.

A couple of questions I have right now.

1) the brom is kind of sitting on the substrate, am I doing this wrong?
2) When I get my iso and springtail culture from southeasternff's, would it be ok to half it right away, to let one mature and the other half seed the tank? Will i need to add food to the tank, or will they eat the substrate?
3) How many PDF's could I keep in here? Right now I am thinking of either Terribilis or Leucomelas.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Nice work! Maybe stick some viney things going up the cork background to sort of fill it in.

Broms like to get air around their base but I think that particular kind likes it a little wetter, so it should be ok. I'm no plant expert, though.

Springs and Isos. Yes, split them up! Some for the tank and some to keep and culture for future use. :D

I don't know how many frogs. 3 Leucs? Maybe 4? Not sure. I haven't kept terribilis, so, I won't guess there.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
did you sanitize those leaves?
Also do you use pesticides or anything outside?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I have 2 mint terribs in my ZooMed 18 cube, they are doing fine.
If it was me I would only put 3 leucs in an 18 cube, the footprint is too small IMO for more than 3 leucs.

-Beth

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Man, I've been looking everywhere for the Pep in the front left...finally had to order it online. You must have a pretty good Pikes out your way. Did you bareroot the plants and sanitize them before they went into the tank? The amount of leaflitter is great, good job man. How deep did you make your drainage layer? You may want to consider blacking out the sides (I use contact paper), it reduces stress and makes the tank look better (in my opinion at least).
1) the brom is kind of sitting on the substrate, am I doing this wrong?
I have had luck with similar broms planted directly in the substrate, as long as it doesn't stay too soggy.
2) When I get my iso and springtail culture from southeasternff's, would it be ok to half it right away, to let one mature and the other half seed the tank? Will i need to add food to the tank, or will they eat the substrate?
Definitely split them...thats what I always do. Take half of the starter culture and use it to seed and make a large master culture with the other half. When they are getting established in the tank, its a good idea to feed them. You can even keep feeding them after frogs are introduced to keep populations up.
Anyway, looking good man. Let me know if you need help with anything.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Very nice looking first viv. Looks like you've done some research and are well on your way!

Field... let me know if you need any more of that Pep. I have two different color forms. Also, you can break off a leaf from around the base, put it in soil, and it roots extremely easy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looks good...i just started my first viv as well recently and i dont know about you but i cant wait to get the little guys in their! :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
did you sanitize those leaves?
Also do you use pesticides or anything outside?
Actually, I dipped the leaves in a mixture of rancid ox blood, an organophosphate slurry my grandpappy used to pass off as moonshine, and some DDT I found in an old ammo can in the shed. I think it ought work!

I got you a peperomia, Field. I'll get it to you some way or another. I didn't sterilize my plants. I didn't know I was supposed to. Hope I don't pay the price!

My bugs and lights should be here soon. I can't wait.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nice looking viv!! Love all the plants. Good job :)

I didn't sterilize some of the plants in my first viv properly and I got the pleasant surprise of millipedes. They subsided though. I think you might be fine unless certain pesticides, and fertilizers were used on the plants.

Can't wait to see pictures of the inhabitants.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Actually, I dipped the leaves in a mixture of rancid ox blood, an organophosphate slurry my grandpappy used to pass off as moonshine, and some DDT I found in an old ammo can in the shed. I think it ought work!
You know what works equally well...a flame thrower and some agent orange. That's what I use, haven't had any nasty critters yet!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bare root the plants! because of the fertilizer! I had no idea! Well, I went and did it, except for the brom and the other..epiphyte thingy, they were bare already. Learn something new everyday. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts

I got you a peperomia, Field. I'll get it to you some way or another. I didn't sterilize my plants. I didn't know I was supposed to. Hope I don't pay the price!

My bugs and lights should be here soon. I can't wait.
Well if you didn't sterilize your plants then you might have not done the leaves and that one leaf is still alive so not knowing to just collect dry leaves made me come to the conclusion if you didn't know to use just dry leaves then you didn't know you need to sterilize the leaves and also make sure you go them from a place where no pesticides have been used.

Once again just trying to help you out and raise awareness but since you are gonna be rude and whatnot I won't even bother.
So go ahead and put your frogs at risk...
Why do people have to let what happened in PM or the thunderdome affect the public threads?
(don't answer that it was hypothetical, it just shouldn't happen)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well if you didn't sterilize your plants then you might have not done the leaves and that one leaf is still alive so not knowing to just collect dry leaves made me come to the conclusion if you didn't know to use just dry leaves then you didn't know you need to sterilize the leaves and also make sure you go them from a place where no pesticides have been used.

Once again just trying to help you out and raise awareness but since you are gonna be rude and whatnot I won't even bother.
So go ahead and put your frogs at risk...
Why do people have to let what happened in PM or the thunderdome affect the public threads?
(don't answer that it was hypothetical, it just shouldn't happen)
I inject my frogs with HGH and make them run on a treadmill. They are invincible

All kidding aside, I sterilized the leaves in a bleach solution. I just like messing with you, man. I..I don't know why.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I inject my frogs with HGH and make them run on a treadmill. They are invincible

All kidding aside, I sterilized the leaves in a bleach solution. I just like messing with you, man. I..I don't know why.
Well you should remain civil and follow the UA.
General Norms:
B. DB requires each member to maintain a respectful, friendly, and civil approach to every discussion, posting, chat, image, advertisement, etc.

Just bleaching them doesn't completely do the job.
I tried it with a small batch and some bugs hatched.
Then with the final batch I would be using I scrubbed them with a bleach solution, nuked them in the microwave with a bit of water in the bottom for 5 mins at a time for a few times checking them each time, then I baked them in the oven.
Hopefully you don't have anything pop up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New pics!

Added some rocks and wood. (I sterilized them in taco sauce)

The brom is kind of wedged there between the rock and the cork background. is that OK? The epiphyte airplant thingy is glued to the wood.

Will the plants under the wood suffer from lack of light?

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a feeling there will be an update soon...this time with frogs in the pics!
Yeah, field sold me some awesome little Terribilis. Of course they are in hiding now. Hopefully I can entice them out with some ff's tomorrow and get a pic or two. Poor little guys. The most poisonous creature in the jungle, hiding under a leaf.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I fed the frogs today. Well, I put ff's in the tank. No sign of the three stooges. I found one under a leaf. the other two are AOL.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts