Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's finally happened:D
Yesterday I went to a reptile show in Malmö and got myself a pair of Ranitomeya amazonica "French Guyana". I couldn't be happier, they are totally fearless and seems to have settled in already.
The little buggers are so cute I can't stop smiling, I've been looking like this ->:D all morning.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Grats! Fg amazonica were my first thumbs too, and I still love them. They are kinda underappreciated here becauce they are very prolific, therefore pretty common. Mine are very bold, one female especially, I can reach my hand in and she won't budge. I know you're really going to enjoy them.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grats! Fg amazonica were my first thumbs too, and I still love them. They are kinda underappreciated here becauce they are very prolific, therefore pretty common. Mine are very bold, one female especially, I can reach my hand in and she won't budge. I know you're really going to enjoy them.
Yeah, the guy I bought them from said that they breed like crazy so I'm pretty exited about that:D

But I'm beginning to think that It might be to bright in the tank as the frogs stays on the ground, but maybe it's just that they feel safer close to the leaf litter.
I'm thinking that maybe I should add a Philodendron scandens cutting or something to give them some more cover. Even though I have a lot of different plants in the tank most of them are pretty small and doesn't provide very much shelter.
Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Yeah, the guy I bought them from said that they breed like crazy so I'm pretty exited about that:D

But I'm beginning to think that It might be to bright in the tank as the frogs stays on the ground, but maybe it's just that they feel safer close to the leaf litter.
I'm thinking that maybe I should add a Philodendron scandens cutting or something to give them some more cover. Even though I have a lot of different plants in the tank most of them are pretty small and doesn't provide very much shelter.
Any thoughts on that?
I think you're fine. Just give them some more time. They spend a lot of time in the leaf litter anyway.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey there. Those are some gorgeous dream frogs. And I love that way you've planted your vivarium

May I ask what type of ferns you've got in there?

And is that a marcgravia on the back wall? If so, what sp.?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey there. Those are some gorgeous dream frogs. And I love that way you've planted your vivarium

May I ask what type of ferns you've got in there?

And is that a marcgravia on the back wall? If so, what sp.?
Thanks!:)
Yes, it's Marcgravia sintenisii.
I don't have too many ferns in that one. Off the top of my head it's Asplenium sp. "Malaysia", Humata hererophylla, Pyrrosia piloselloides, Selaginella sp. and Microgramma vaccinifolia

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
One thing I thought was interesting in the photo was that I noticed the frogs' front legs were set a little further back on the body. Does anyone else see this or is it just me...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

·
Registered
512 Posts
FGs are a great choice for first thumbs. Congratulations an best of luck

Ed
Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't have any previous experience with Ranitomeya sp. so I haven't noticed it. But after looking at some pictures it seems like it varies a bit.

This one for example have it's front legs close to the head: https://www.google.se/search?q=rani...m%2Ffavorites%2Fpage11%2F%3Fview%3Dlg;640;427

This one looks more like mine.
https://www.google.se/search?q=rani...2Fhtml%2FD_ranitomeya_amazonica.html;1024;768
If I'm not mistaken, the dendrobase picture is a R. ventrimaculata, whereas the flickr picture is a R. amazonica. That may explain *some* of the difference. Then there are natural differences in posture and between individuals, between males and females in particular.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the dendrobase picture is a R. ventrimaculata, whereas the flickr picture is a R. amazonica. That may explain *some* of the difference. Then there are natural differences in posture and between individuals, between males and females in particular.
Amazonica was split from ventrimaculata. The remaining vents were sunk into variabilis.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts