Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met James(jeosbo01) today and picked up 3 Phyllobates terribilis tads! I will be taking some pics! He was kind enough to include hatch date, line, and everything else I could have wanted to know! In short, it was a GREAT experience, and he is a GREAT guy! All my thanks! The reason I did not post this as vendor feedback is BC I am planning on uploading pics, and will use it as a growth chronology of sorts. Just wanted to thank the supplier first ;) ...

All my thanks, bro!

JBear

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well first off what color did you get? I have 5 yellow ones and I love them. You can not go wrong with the king of the dart frog world!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well first off what color did you get? I have 5 yellow ones and I love them. You can not go wrong with the king of the dart frog world!
They are "Orange" P. terribilis. They are from Sean Stewart(Originally an SNDF line). They hatched 8.7.11. They are looking very good and already showing "nubbins" in the rear quarters. The seller, James, expressed that these were his favorite frogs in his collection. I think my P. bicolor are my favs now in my own collection, And I have heard they are quite similar in "attitude" and boldness. Here are some tad shots I took less than 10 mins ago!

JBear

Attachments

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
835 Posts
Well, I admit it. I am insanely jealous. I think P.T's, especially in orange, are awesome. Sadly, I have never had a tank big enough to house a few, without acting irresponsibly with my current residents.

They may get the nod for the future living room tank but it's a knock down street fight between Terribilis, Orange Galacs, and Variabilis.

Can't wait to see them as froglets !

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are doing great! Eating HBH Pellets, and otherwise living life and loving it! All my thanks again, James! Will be taking some more pics tomorrow!

JBear

·
Registered
708 Posts
Congratulations! I'm wildly jealous, I've been pining over the orange terribilis now for a few months.

What size tank will you house them in after they morph?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations! I'm wildly jealous, I've been pining over the orange terribilis now for a few months.

What size tank will you house them in after they morph?
I will be using a 10 gal growout to start. Once they are all eating good I will move them to a 40 or 55 gal. I just hope I end up with a pair ;) !

JBear

Reactions: Erica

·
Registered
708 Posts
Fantastic, I wish I had room for a tank that size. I supose I could always make room...

But please keep updates going on these great little guys, if nothing else I can live vicariously through your terribilis :)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are showing obvious back legs(not too far developed yet) now, but they seem to seriously hate the camera flash. Everytime it does the focusing flash, they take off in all directions ending up under some java moss, etc. I don't try for pics much, as I would hate to continually stress them. I can't wait to see the coloration take over, it appears it is changing a bit now from the chocolate-black of new tads. Maybe I will try for a pic before work!

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's nothing chocolate about Terribilis tads if you shine a light on them :)
Mine are kept in an opaque tupperware. It is hard(impossible) for me to get the side view clearly. The first set of pics were from when they were still in the transport cup. Thanks for the tip though, I didn't know that. I could tell from the way the flash affected their color that perhaps there was more than meets the eye ;) !

(BTW- As always, wonderful pic!)

Thanks!

JBear

Reactions: johnc

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the chocolate appearance is what it looks like when they get bigger and light doesn't penetrate their bodies well.
Was that sphag under river rock and some vegetation in the rearing tank? If not, it still looked interesting and would like to know your method. Thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A poor pic... They were all swimming all over and it kicked up crap in the water column.

JBear

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Was that sphag under river rock and some vegetation in the rearing tank? If not, it still looked interesting and would like to know your method. Thanks!
That's the parent's terrarium pond actually. There's gravel, Riccia, bits of terrarium plants, duckweed, and anything that you could find in ABG mix, all in that water. You can see a photo of the terrarium here.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I CANNOT get good pics of all 3!!! Unfortunately, I believe this tad is the "youngest", and has matured the least out of the group thus far, however, looks great to me!

JBear

Attachments

Reactions: johnc

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2 of 3 tads have front limbs now!!! I will try for pics today. I am very excited for them to emerge!

JBear

1 - 20 of 109 Posts