Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
0.0.4 Dendrobates Auratus Birkhahn
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last december I've bought my first terrarium, it's a exo terra 60x45x60 cm (24x18x24 inches) I wanted this for a very long time but never bought it for all kinds of reasons, but now i finally have one:

Making the background:

Background and bottom finished, first plants added:

And the final result as it looks at this moment:

So please let me know what you think about it!

Attachments

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
524 Posts
It looks really good! What are you putting in the tank?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks really good! What are you putting in the tank?
Thnx! I don't know what frog to put in, there are a few that I like. But first I want to be sure to control the viv and wait a little bit longer so the plants have time to grow.

Frogs I like :
ranitomeya ventrimaculata, the red ones
dendrobates auratus
Maybe epipedobates anthonyi

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last weekend I got this mister for the viv, don't mind the sensor, had to put this in the right place at that moment

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
524 Posts
Thnx! I don't know what frog to put in, there are a few that I like. But first I want to be sure to control the viv and wait a little bit longer so the plants have time to grow.

Frogs I like :
ranitomeya ventrimaculata, the red ones
dendrobates auratus
Maybe epipedobates anthonyi
For starters, auratus are amazing beginner frogs. Epips are underrated in my opinion and are also a go to beginner frog. Just be careful because they breed like crazy. Any thumbnail isn’t the best beginner choice so I would hold off of those for later.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For starters, auratus are amazing beginner frogs. Epips are underrated in my opinion and are also a go to beginner frog. Just be careful because they breed like crazy. Any thumbnail isn’t the best beginner choice so I would hold off of those for later.
I think I might go for the auratus then but I still have time to think it over.

I don't have any breeding intentions so maybe not the anthonyi. I think the breeding is also something to figure out for me, is there a way too not get them into breeding?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think I might go for the auratus then but I still have time to think it over.

I don't have any breeding intentions so maybe not the anthonyi. I think the breeding is also something to figure out for me, is there a way too not get them into breeding?
Simply not buying a female. Usually most dart frogs are easy to tell their gender with exceptions of some.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I started off with auratus and ventris around six months ago. I’ve since realized that the auratus is a very shy breed which I only see at feeding time. The ventris are a lot more visible. Another good beginners frog is the Leucomela, I have just built a new tank with the intention of hosting some Leucomelas, once this lockdown loosens up a bit....

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
Even at adulthood, reliably sexing most darts in the absence of calling or egg laying is challenging. Proven animals, or probable pairs from experienced breeders are sometimes available, but they're somewhat few and far between. Furthermore, depending on species, two males together may not be the best choice.

You did a nice job designing the viv. :)

Reactions: FroggerFrog

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Even at adulthood, reliably sexing most darts in the absence of calling or egg laying is challenging. Proven animals, or probable pairs from experienced breeders are sometimes available, but they're somewhat few and far between. Furthermore, depending on species, two males together may not be the best choice.

You did a nice job designing the viv. :)
Thank you! Not bad for the first time I think 😊
I'll have to do some research on the male/ female/ breeding part.

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts
I missed your last video. A fogger isn't a mister, and most of us don't recommend foggers -- they're for visual effect.

Reactions: Tijl

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I missed your last video. A fogger isn't a mister, and most of us don't recommend foggers -- they're for visual effect.
Ok, my mistake, the dutch word for fog is mist. And yes for one part it's visual effect, the other part is to make sure my humidety is not going to low.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ok, my mistake, the dutch word for fog is mist. And yes for one part it's visual effect, the other part is to make sure my humidety is not going to low.
You might find a rain system (sproeisysteem) is more suitable for a dart frog vivarium. Fog systems can make the air too dense and the frogs won’t like it so much. Take a look at the systems at AquaNatureTec Aqua Nature Tec - Webshop

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You might find a rain system (sproeisysteem) is more suitable for a dart frog vivarium. Fog systems can make the air too dense and the frogs won’t like it so much. Take a look at the systems at AquaNatureTec Aqua Nature Tec - Webshop
The fogger is running with a controller. The last two days I've been watching it, and it only turns on a couple of times in the afternoon en in the evening until it reaches the right % and than turns off. Still finetuning the density so it is not to dense. I also mist by hand to make sure there is water in the broms and the rest don't dry out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts