Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
!WOAH! Wonderful tank. Take out, or hide the little black thing in the front, and add something to the middle, and it would look better. Like, add a pond, or carniverous plant. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think a small piece of drift wood would make a nice addition to the middle and give the little guys some climbing space otherwise it looks really great!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Nice looking tank. I have a suggestion though, mount the tillandsia on the cork, because they like to dry out and being on wet moss all day can kill them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They just did :? So I should mount them on the cork as I did with the creeping fig? Because that one died, too. It seems to me that it dried out. I'm just not lucky with the creeping fig. It also dried out in my other tank.
Any suggestions? What do I do wrong?
Btw. the little black thing in the front is the coco hut :) I try to make something up so it doesn't look so disturbing :lol:
...and the piece of wood would really look good in there...thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How come i can never get my plants to dry! :lol: They eighter get too wet and decompose or they are doing great. My pump burnt out in the tank today so I think it will dry things up a little. :D ( I have 3 water features in the tank )
Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't bother with the tillandsia in a 10 gallon tank. Chances are that if you can get the conditions right for the air plant, it would be bad for the frogs. In a larger tank you can have several different climates in the tank.

In my experience the creeping fig does well if you just plant it in water/wet gravel. Plant it at the base of your background and it will climb up it (especially if your background will hold some water or stays moist).

-Tad

·
Registered
886 Posts
Agreed...
you'll soon have more creeping fig than you know what to do with. Just plant the base in the substrate and the "stalk" against the background. It will spread quickly.

And I must agree... that is a beautiful 10 gallon!

Josh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The tank is looking great! I like the addition of the hobbit hole and the driftwood.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: My first real attempt...10 Gallon G & B Auratus Viva

nana_enes said:
My first official vivarium!
Comments...suggestions?
Wow! I really like your background. This may sound like a dumb question, but what is it made out of? How did you do it?

It really looks wonderful. Thank you and have a great day.

Amanda

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Thanks and there is no such thing as a dumb question. Believe me, I asked my share when I was getting started. Natalia and I took a piece of cork bark and cut it into 3 sections because it wasn't flat to begin with. We glued the 3 pieces equally apart on the back of the tank and filled in the gaps with Great Stuff expanding foam. After the foam cured, we siliconed dry coco fiber (has to be dry) to it. It was really easy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wow I liked your setup a lot. I am currently still researching how to build a vivarium. I was thinking about doing a 10gal and I was wondering how much all your costs added up to be? Also what are you using for your layers of substrate?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It all depends on what you are looking to do. You have to figure out the type of background you want and they all range in price depending on what you want to do. You also have to think about your drainage, do you want to use a false bottom or leca or other? Then there is the substrate and the plants themselves. Do you want to have running water in the setup? A tube or 3 of black silicone comes in handy too. Then you need to think about the lighting you want to use, etc. etc. The price can vary greatly, even on a 10 gallon tank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know the range is huge, but I was just wondering the cost of this particular. Then I can start thinking whether I can afford more than this or not.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.