Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well my first clutch of what appears to be fertile eggs. With reading some very interesting postings lately on rearing eggs id like advise from anyone with E.tricolor on the next step. Im only interested in whats best for the frogs not on the quantity so if leaving them to be reaised naturally is the best way then so be it , but any and all suggestions would be great. Thanks :D [/img][/url]

·
Registered
507 Posts
Tricolors are possibly the best frogs for watching social and breeding behaviors as most morphs will do their thing unconcerned with human presence, especially salvias and san isabels. By the photo you have some fertile eggs so it's only a matter of time until they are picked up and deposited into the water bowl or other suitable area. I would suggest letting the parents do all that work and just collect the tads from the water.

Epipes don't give tads any parental care so removing them is best if you are interested in raising them. The tads can be raised individually or in groups, rarely will you see any cannibalistic attacks on clutchmates. They will eat most fish flake food, spirulina/chlorella algae, and bloodworms. I usually put some leaves in the water for cover as well as some aquatic plants, like water sprite and java moss. Once the front legs pop out reduce the water depth and put the rearing tub on a slant so the froglets can get out of the water easily, they are prone to drowning. Most froglets are able to eat small fruitflies right away, but if you have springtails use them as well.

Hope this helps
ERIc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eric thank you very much for the advise, which I will follow. Looks like about 7-8 are wigglers , im not counting on a lot as this is the round one for me with tad rearing. But im gonna give it 150 % and have fun while I learn something. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts