Dendroboard banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(I posted this a bit ago but it poofed??)

Yea, so, I'm doing a new tank for my tree frogs; 29H vert. They're going to love it! :D

In a brief moment of lucidity, I contacted NEHerp about doing a custom front for me. After it passed, I decided that I could make it myself. :p

Got the measurements, after weeks of cyphering on sticky notes, and headed off to Ace Hardware for some glass. They were awesome! When I told them I needed glass cut, they said that their shipment had come in all broken up but they'd look for big enough pieces for what I needed. I could hear the guy back there ruffling around in broken glass. Anyway, he got it worked out and I got my vert kit all cut out and ready to go for 9 bucks. Nice thick glass, too.

Early rise this morning to get started on my project. Very exciting! Got out the first piece of glass and discovered it was 3 inches too wide for the rim of the tank. OMG. Not Ace Hardware guy's fault. I had given him the wrong dimensions, even after all that math I did! What's that saying, 'measure once and cut twice' lol.

I was about to go back to bed and cry myself to sleep but decided to try to fix it instead. I have one of those hand held glass cutters but have never successfully cut glass <sigh>.

Anyway, here are pics of all that.

Unwrapping the nicely packaged glass

My first cut after discovering I'd used the wrong dimensions (it worked!)

Some pieces taped up to mark where to cut.

My DIY table, which is actually some rickety thing that my cat uses to look out the window. It usually holds her spider plant that she chews on. The paint stick that I use to mix my clay is serving as my straight edge.

So what could possibly go wrong? If you don't hear from me within a few hours, send an ambulance :D

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hey Kris, if you have any questions on cutting, PM me. Putting tape right on the line could interfere with the cutting wheel. I like to use a sharpie marker.
Another tip. Instead of trying to just hold your straight edge down while you cut, tape in in place. Makes it a lot easier to get a good score line without slipping.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am trying to decide what to do with my "got on sale at Petco" 40 gallon....ie make a lid, buy a lid, make a front door set, try to find a kit to buy...etc...so I am going to watch yours progress with keen interest. thanks for posting.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Doug. Being well prepared, I couldn't find any of my sharpies. I used a highlighter marker but couldn't see the marks, lol. The tape was placed just outside the line I wanted to cut, so I was able to use the paint stick on one side and the tape on the other side, as straight edges. And, I'm happy to report that all glass is cut! Except for a couple rough edges that a little sandpaper will fix, it worked out pretty well :D

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am trying to decide what to do with my "got on sale at Petco" 40 gallon....ie make a lid, buy a lid, make a front door set, try to find a kit to buy...etc...so I am going to watch yours progress with keen interest. thanks for posting.
I'm going to try to make a front that has ventilation up top and near the bottom. I'll be using some ideas I've seen on some of the European tank build threads. Here's a link to a thread where I found how I want to make the vents. Not in the same place as in the thread but similar construction. Mine won't have all the other fancy stuff, just the ventilation.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/290580-post8.html

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is an old, recycled tank so it's got scratches and silicone fingerprints and a patched up crack. Hopefully the tree frogs won't mind.

Here are pics of what I got done today. I got side tracked by family calling with Holiday wishes. Especially my dad, who was very excited about the new tank. He loves DIY and knows how to do everything. Kind of like Pumilo.

Anyway, the idea for the vent is that there is a strip of glass siliconed above and below a strip of screen. The screen is siliconed and held in place with a strip of glass on the inside running horizontally, and a small piece of glass on the outside, running vertically on either side of the screen. The 2 vertical pieces are in place and the lower horizontal one is. Still need to do the top vent. I'm thinking of cutting the glass down a little to make a larger vent on the top. I had to stop for the night because it's dark and there was getting to be too much blood.

For some reason I put it on top of a dresser when I finished today. I'm too short to get a FTS of it lying on the dresser. Hopefully you can sort of see what I'm doing. :p

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Looking good Kris. Do we need to send out the paramedics?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the offer of medical assistance, Pumilo, but, I'm all done with the glass and I've mopped up most of the blood. :D

Lesson learned: After carefully siliconing magnets to the glass, do not try to place a large pair of steel tin snips on top of them to weight them down. I didn't even get close to the magnets before they all came flying up out of the silicone and attached themselves to my tin snips, lmao. :p

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Done! Well, almost done. Need to get new razor blades to clean off silicone. Need to get something to replace the electrical tape :p

None of the glass is square and none of the joints are flush. Just adds to the charm, or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Tank is recycled. The hinge was ripped off of the lid on another tank, that I'm not using, and cut to size. Had to scavenge some glass from it too, shh don't ask, lol. The electrical tape hides the screen that is siliconed to the inside of the tank and sandwiched in glass.

silhouette

with inadequate light (all my good light is already in use on various tanks)

top, showing screen area and my frog handle to open the door (modified from a refrigerator magnet)

bottom

This one is a little messy, but I learned so much by doing it! I'm already planning a couple of 10g verts for my El Dorado froglets.

I'll get it cleaned up, built the innards, plant it up and hopefully have my treefrogs in there next weekend. This was a 'build on a shoestring.' :D

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I'm a bit worried the bottom vent is too low but I think it looks great.
When I made my viv I was looking everywhere for those lil plastic poison dart frogs I have seen around and use it as a pull but I couldn't find any :(

Can't wait to see what else you do with it. I'm subscribed :)

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Hi Dragon

The bottom section does look low, but, that is by design. Since this tank will house Phyllomedusa tomopterna, I wanted it to have less humidity than a dart tank and good ventilation. There is about a quarter of an inch of water in the bottom and that's about as high as it's going to get.

I started on the inside build, yesterday. Here's a thread for that. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/members-frogs-vivariums/77276-my-new-tree-frog-tank-progress.html
Yeah I saw the thread last night.
It's looking good man :)

I love tiger legs :D
That tank is really gonna suit it's needs with all those branches :)

Subscribing to other thread now :p
that is where you're gonna finish it up at or are you gonna do that here?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I saw the thread last night.
It's looking good man :)

I love tiger legs :D
That tank is really gonna suit it's needs with all those branches :)

Subscribing to other thread now :p
that is where you're gonna finish it up at or are you gonna do that here?
I'm gonna finish up on the other thread. I have a few more things to do to it after the silicone cures a bit. Then I give the frogs a good shower to wash the nasty worms off, just in case, and toss them in. They're lucky they aren't getting a bleach bath like everything else did, as much as I hate nemerteans. :p

This one was just to document my terrifying DIY. :D

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
ok well I subscribed to both anyway haha.
so according to Field you are a female?
LOL sorry bout that.

I have done this before lol
Maybe we should have a gender symbol with everyone's info in the top right of each post :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts