Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, from Ocala, Florida.
I just set up my very first bioactive vivarium. It was so fun to build and I’m so excited to be getting my very first dart frogs (or any frogs/amphibians to be honest). I also have a ball python and a tarantula so I can’t wait for the dendrobates to join the family. I’ll be getting them sometime next month or so to give time for the vivarium to become established. Any recommendations or criticism on my set up/ what species to get would be great! I have a little water fall (it barely flows just drips down slowly) in the back under the bromeliad. I also have a false bottom for a drainage layer. Most of the moss was found from my area and some of the plants were also found in my area. I have some shelf fungus in the tree branch that I got glued on but unfortunately I didn’t realize that it won’t grow after removing it from where I found it. The enclosure size is 18x18x24. I would like to have 3 dendrobates.
Plant Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant Vegetation

·
Super Moderator
3,630 Posts
What species are you specifically wanting to get? Advice on setup will differ depending on what species you want to keep.

·
Administrator
5,569 Posts
Welcome. :)

Wild collected moss is not something I'd put in my viv, since it can't be easily disinfected before using (all plants should be bleach dipped to prevent pests and pathogens). Too late now, but you did solicit criticism. ;)

More climbing opportunities would be beneficial -- simply more if you're considering something like D. leucomelas, and more gentle slopes/ramps for D. tinctorius. No "beginner" dart deals with vertical walls very well, but they all like to climb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts