Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last weekend I went to Sean Stwearts house and picked up three Epipedobates Anthonyi Zarayungas! They are sooo awesome. They really like the viv and I have seen them eat springs and FF's. I've just got one question, how old are they when they mature? The first dart is always up in a plant somewhere while the second one hangs around the water area. The third one is a bit more skittish and hides under the leaf litter.

Thanks
Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
713 Posts
Awesome sauce! I'm setting up a viv for Anthonyi's too. :D

Would it be too much trouble for clearer photos and perhaps a full tank shot please?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Very cool! With a lot of trends and fads in the hobby these days, it's nice to see someone start off with an interesting and under-rated species like this! Very similar in care to E-tricolor. Go see the caresheets page to make it easier.

The males have a great loud call as well!

Also, while this is not a common beginner frog, it's definitely a great species to start with!

Congrats and welcome to the addiction!

D

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know they can handle some range of temps and humidity but I would like to keep the humidity at 70% but I'm having trouble. I am using a glass top, have a water area and false bottom, and I mist a couple times a day but the humidity stays at 60-65%. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. So the first pic is the whole tank. The second is the left side and the third is the right side of the tank.
Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
713 Posts
I know they can handle some range of temps and humidity but I would like to keep the humidity at 70% but I'm having trouble. I am using a glass top, have a water area and false bottom, and I mist a couple times a day but the humidity stays at 60-65%. Any suggestions???
Try another hydrometer. I use digitals that have the probe. You can find a good one at a fair price in Radio Shack or nursery. With a glass top, restricting all the ventilation plus misting, I would think the humidity is actually higher than even 70%.

Um, I don't see any new photos. :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
With a glass top the humidity should be high. I don't even measure the humidity in my tanks. Planted vivariums with a glass top will have high humidity. A new tanks glass usually fogs heavily at first.

I'm sure it's just a faulty gauge. A lot of those besides manual gauges they sell are inaccurate.

I bet it actually is higher than 80% and you just don't know it. If you took a glass tank, added an inch of water and put a glass top on, the humidity would be high simply because of the water evaporating and no where to escape.

A lot of new dart froggers tend to think they need crazy misting systems, foggers, etc. All you really need is a glass top and you're fine. Remember, you don't want constantly wet substrate. I mist my frogs once a day and that's it. Stagnant environments can cause skin problems. Obviously dart frogs do very well with little to no ventilation but I've started to add a small strip in all my tanks. While it might lower the humidity a tad, I haven't noticed it much and it helped heal a few skin lesions that my Azureus had.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thanks for a full tank shot! I'm half way done building mine. Don't have the steadiest of hands so there will be alot of razor action scraping off the silicone. :eek:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Just a note on this tank design. While it's perfectly fine for your frogs, some of your house plant choices are a little tall to stuff into a short terrestrial tank. As you can see they're already hitting the glass and they're probably going to grow a lot and fast so you'll be trimming like crazy. If I were you I would eventually swap out some of those for smaller plants. Not that it's bad or anything, just going to annoy you eventually because they're already too big for the tank. Don't worry that's a common rookie mistake.

You can use some young begonias, pepperomias, and other small plants to start with that will give you nice plant cover but not be fighting to break through the glass right away. Small low growing ferns you can find at home depot are also great to use. Another one to find is a crypto bromeliad which is a gorgeous plant and even at a larger size will stay relatively shallow (plus it will produce pups for you).

Like I said though, as a rookie you will slowly learn what works for you and what looks better. You'll end up swapping out plants, trashing some, or letting others grow for years in the tank.

Nice work though and I'm glad to see you work with a lesser kept species.

Dan

·
Registered
564 Posts
Nice frogs! I have a pair of anythonyi as well, and they're my first step into the dart world. Mine started producing eggs about 2 weeks ago and I think they're around 11-12 months old. Just like everyone says, once they start breeding they don't stop! So far they've laid two clutches of eggs in two weeks!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Someone more experienced than me should hopefully chime in, but I don't really think there is a way to get them to stop in a viv. They don't breed all year-round in the wild, but tank conditions are generally perfect for them to breed, so they will. I'm not sure how most people stand ethically, but you could remove the eggs when they're freshly laid before they develop into tads. Another possibility could be to keep a pair of males as long as you don't see any aggression, but again, someone wiser than I can chime in on that :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just want to cycle them so they breed in like the summer or something. Not all year round. I think that if you lower the humidity for a while they stop breeding but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
They will breed for a period and then stop normally when it gets too warm. These frogs perfer cooler temps and will usually breed for 6 mos straight and then just stop. You can also decrease or even stop misting for a period, but thats doesn't alwyas or usually work. Also if you stop pulling eggs or tads they may slow down if they don't have enough room to transport.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Someone more experienced than me should hopefully chime in, but I don't really think there is a way to get them to stop in a viv. They don't breed all year-round in the wild, but tank conditions are generally perfect for them to breed, so they will. I'm not sure how most people stand ethically, but you could remove the eggs when they're freshly laid before they develop into tads. Another possibility could be to keep a pair of males as long as you don't see any aggression, but again, someone wiser than I can chime in on that :)
Epip males don't usually fight. They are not a bad as the females. In general if you keep them in a large enough viv with plenty of broad leafed plants they will do fine. I keep gorups of 4-7 of all my anhtonyi and have only had problems with the females...either egg eating or fighting, which usually results in one drowned in the pond.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
So last weekend I went to Sean Stwearts house and picked up three Epipedobates Anthonyi Zarayungas! They are sooo awesome. They really like the viv and I have seen them eat springs and FF's. I've just got one question, how old are they when they mature? The first dart is always up in a plant somewhere while the second one hangs around the water area. The third one is a bit more skittish and hides under the leaf litter.

Thanks
Alex
6-8 mos they mature. First few clutches usually go bad. As long as you're giving them a good supplement like rephashy yu'll have good eggs in no time.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but these frogs rock and are quickly becoming a favorite also. I love my tincs personality and reading and feedback suggests Anthonyis are great group frogs. SI's will be added in the near future!

Please keep us updated every now and again, and if you can, with photos? Just a little added request. ;) Jessica

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sure! The first pic is when this little froggy was lookin for some food. The second is a little out a focus (excuse my pathetic photo skills) and the frog is hiding by the water area. The thrid was being a little pic shy, :[ and I coudln't get a good picture of him.

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. So here is an update 3 months later. I have heard calling from at least one male. There could be 2 but whenever I get close to look at the frogs, they stop calling. I will take some pics later. I don't know how old they were when I first got them, I think it was either 1 month ootw or 3 months ootw. i have had them for almost 3 moths so they could either be 4 months or 6 months old.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts