Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

Last week I was busy building my first dart frog vivarium. I am leaning heavily towards dendrobates tinctorius azureus. Let me know what you all think.

I am not exactly sure what type of plants I’ve used. Most of them come from the clearance section of my local garden store. I got all these plants for about 15 euro’s.

Right now, I am researching different orchids that I want to mount to the background. I would happily take any suggestions.

Edit: Typo

·
Registered
436 Posts
For orchid suggestions, check out the Dendroboard Plant Database. You can filter by Plant Type = Orchid, Difficulty = Beginner and Location = Epiphytic or Lithophytic.

I'm assuming you haven't grown orchids before, correct me if I'm wrong. One of the orchids I recommend most for vivariums if someone is new to orchids is Epidendrum porpax, it's easy and vigorous.

Another orchid that I adore and think belongs in almost every vivarium is Lepanthopsis astrophora. It will need a bit more particular care than the Epidendrum, and will need to be constantly moist. And if you like really tiny things, I have so far found Barbosella gardneri to be quite easy, again if you keep it constantly moist.

·
Registered
E. tricolor 'Rio' (WIKIRI)
10 Posts
I've had relative success with Restrepia brachypus, Specklinia grobyi, and Pleurothallis sandemanii with caution to its size; given the number of species, I'm sure others will have quite a diverse suggestion.
Because of this variety, the only other recommendations I can give for orchids is to search for species which you enjoy the appearance of (there are always more species to see), are suitable for vivarium conditions, and stay on the small to miniature size range. Andy's Orchids is a good site to search (vivarium option when searching), but Glass Box Tropicals and Ecuagenera are also great places to search for orchids. I personally love Ecuagenera simply for its variety and lower pricing, but it takes a bit more effort (searching for only intermediate to warm climate, high humidity plants) to ensure they're vivarium compatible.

Your plants right now look nice as well, although others may comment that the broms will get too large or the airplants should be raised higher.

·
Registered
E. tricolor 'Rio' (WIKIRI)
10 Posts
For orchid suggestions, check out the Dendroboard Plant Database. You can filter by Plant Type = Orchid, Difficulty = Beginner and Location = Epiphytic or Lithophytic.
Thanks for adding a link to that post Ariel; I was oblivious to its existence and just have to commend how nice it is. Maybe I'll contribute something to it in the future.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks for adding a link to that post Ariel; I was oblivious to its existence and just have to commend how nice it is. Maybe I'll contribute something to it in the future.
That would be great! Always looking for more plants and more pictures!

·
Registered
375 Posts
It looks very nice, especially considering you've got clearance plants. The neo bromeliads are really nice finds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow guys! thanks a lot for the replies! Those orchids are truly wonderfull and I can see them becoming a hobby inside a hobby.

I cut these bromeliads from an abomination of plants bound together, All of the bromeliads were flowering. I think the bromeliads were gassed to make them flower and idk the flower was almost bigger than the bromeliad and it looked odd so I've cut them off. Bromeliads don't grow anymore after they have flowered right?

Thanks for the suggestion about the tillandsias. I think I am going to add the tillandsias to the log in the top of the tank.

·
Registered
0.0.4 Dendrobates Auratus Birkhahn
59 Posts
You should check out araflora.nl, they have a lot of orchids for vivs. Only downside is that sometimes the plants (not only the orchids) are way bigger than you would expect.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should check out araflora.nl, they have a lot of orchids for vivs. Only downside is that sometimes the plants (not only the orchids) are way bigger than you would expect.
Thanks for the tip!

I came across that site a couple of times when googling about different orchid species.
I will definitly check them out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I changed everything up a bit in the vivarium and added some new plants.

I especially like this hide:

In regards to orchids I’ve been looking at several species for the spots circled in red.

For the place on the left I am almost certain that I will go for Epidendrum Porpax. The place in the middle gets more light from an 13w exoterra bulb and I’m not certain what I would put there I am considering 4 different types being:
  • Dinema Polybulbon
  • Oncidium Eurycline
  • Encyclia Garciana
  • Masdevallia Herradurae

I looked up care guides for all these species and found that most do best on either cork bark or tree fern. I however do not have cork bark or treefern added in the back wall. Would it be an issue if I mount them directly on the back wall? Maybe with a little spagnum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts