Dendroboard banner

My first crack at background

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Art A 
#1 ·
Well, I finally figured I should start posting since I have lurked for years. This is my first attempt at a background in a 20H for some Varadero. Pics are not that good but gives an idea of how it is coming together.

Support system holding wood in place.

A little progress siliconed with coco added.

Some broms and plant cuttings from Chris Teem, Joe Mailhot, and Josh's frogs.

37g Oceanic waiting for it's turn.

A few other OT hobbies since I like showing pics. I hope no one minds.

See less See more
#6 ·
Tanks Ryan.

Nice Ackies and Woma's

I'm so lucky to have them native in my country
yes, you are lucky.I'd love to be able to find this stuff in my own backyard.

Nice Monitors!:D
Ackies?
Do they breed at all for you?
From Frank Retes's stock?
I used to do Dumerils years ago. :)
(Now i want GT's !)
:)
Thanks. Yes, they are true Red Ackies. They are breeding and laying eggs for me but I still have issues with nesting. I can't keep the dirt warm enough in the fall/winter months for any consistency. Now that temps are warming, I hope to have better nesting results. The girl is directly from Frank and the male from someone else, but still his stock.

Awesome looking animals! Any particular reason for cover the sides in silicone or were you planning to remove it later?
Thanks. I covered the sides because I didn't quite know how much I was going to build onto it. I plan on removing everything that doesn't have GS on it.

#9 ·
As much as I love the background those peppers are rad and the snakes are really sick too as well as the monitors :D
Thanks. Once I get the plants in the tank it will look much better. I hope the monitors resume laying eggs. The pythons are hatching out but I won't have any boas this year. Still have most of last years babies. As for the peppers, I have about 80 or so plants, maybe more, and hope to have a bunch of peppers this year. They are some hot mofo's.

#13 ·
Thanks goes to Chris at Rainforest Herps. Great guy, great broms. Can't wait to get more...even though I still have enough for two more 20H's and my 37 cube.

Nice oceanic. I have 3. 30 cube, 42 and a 40. Ones a hex ones a stretch hex can't remember which is which. Cleaned up at the Petco $1/gal years back :D never came across a 37 tho
Lucky score. I almost picked up a 30 cube but the guy wanted $200 for it. Also missed out on a 40 stretch hex. I like these tanks a lot. Don't know why Oceanic discontinued them.

#12 ·
I just about finished up the tank at 2am a couple nights ago. Still have to add a jewel orchid to fill the open spot in the back left and maybe some type of vine for more coverage on the background. It's hard to capture the depth in the pics, but I am happy how it turned out for my first vert build. I am going to either put my Varadero, unless they both turn out to be males, or my Baja Huallagas in this tank. On to the next build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.