Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering around these fourms for some time now and have finally decided to take that leap of faith into the poison dart frog world. Over the past few months I have been slowly constructing and researching frogs, plants, and setups and I finally have a few things done..

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
currently, i am trying to get my temperature and humidity stable and i'm in the process of breeding fruitflies and springtails.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
It is coming along nicely. I am bad at judging size in pics; is that a ten gallon tank? Are you building your own lid for the tank? You thinking about Auratus as your first frog(s)?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes to all of the above! I started with an Acrylic top before i realized it warped and went out yesterday to get a glass top. I just attached the handle to it and am waiting for it to dry. I was hoping to get blue and black auratus as my first frog.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I would recomend planting it first because that would give you a better look at what the humidity and temps will be like. Good luck in this amazing hobby. You will be hooked fast, if you aren't already that is:)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Good choice in frogs.
Yeah, glass top would be better. I have one tank with an acrylic lid and it has warped some, but really not too bad. For the lid, I would also recommend a 1 to 2 inch strip of screen from front to back for airflow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
+1 To planting the tank first. There really is no other way of getting an accurate forecast regarding temp and humidity. Plus it will be that much more lush for the froggies!

Looks great so far.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
+1 To planting the tank first. There really is no other way of getting an accurate forecast regarding temp and humidity. Plus it will be that much more lush for the froggies!

Looks great so far.
Agreed. Plus, you can turn some of your springtails loose in there and let them start seeding it out. Don't dump them all in, you'll want to keep your culture running too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So i finally got a few things done with the tank. I planted it and the humidity stays around 88-94%. The temperature is at a constant 78. Im hoping to get the frogs in a few weeks when they morph out from black jungle.

I tried culturing my own fruitflies and I think im messing up somewhere because atleast 20-30 escaped in the process.. my mother was not to pleased.. :( any tips for keeping them in the cups would be most appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Looks really nice! Be sure to add leaf litter so the dirt doesn't stick onto the frogs, and your springtails can hide!

With the fruit flutes flies....be quick! Lol. Tapping the culture down when the lid is off is the only way.

Keep us updated as this grows in, I think it is going to look really nice!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went out and got some nice leaves from my oak tree, i put them in the freezer and i'm going to microwave them and let them dry out before i put them in. I had completely forgotton all about the leaf litter lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts