Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is the start of my new 10 gallon vivarium for 2 D. Auratus. I know its a little small, but its all i have. I am also gonna put in a cork background, a log, and some bromeliads. I really like tsillandsia (however you spell that).

The spread out moss is ricca, does anyone know how long it takes to establish?

Lighting setup: 2 30 watt floros

cocohut i will put in

·
Registered
702 Posts
So far it looks like a good starts, maybe you should spread the moss after you have the log and other stuff in first, but other than that i like it so fat. As far as having the moss spread, just keep it moist and give it good light thats how i got mine to stay alive and spread.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
ur ok buddy, a decient start, mis the ricca heavily and give good light, good things will happen..........good things will happen

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, like I said, Im getting a cork background and some bromeliads and hopefully a jewel orchid or something

·
Registered
18 Posts
You're off to a promising start and it sounds like you have your layout pretty well planned out. Can't wait to see it once it grows out a bit!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Same here.What kind of auratus are you putting in there?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
either blue and black or green and black. Im not really sure yet. Im gonna ge tthe frogs at a convention in october. I also just picked up a mini ficus to stick in there.

I have a feeling i put the ricca in there too early...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Isn't 10 gallon small for 2 auratus? I keep 1 froglet in a 10 gallon.
Anyway they love leaflitter so you can move half of the ricca to fill in gaps and cover the other half with leaflitter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know its small, but it will have to do for a while its all ive got. Im sure ill be able to make a larger viv in a year or so... good idea with the leaf litter. I am putting in a mini ficus so there should be some of that

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so here is an update. this is all the cork i could get my hands on for a background, so it will have to do. The final things i will add are gonna be a piece of wood and a bromeliad or two. The new plant on the left is a mini ficus.

Thought you guys might think these are cool, this is my other hobby! nepenthes, or tropical pitcher plants. If you have questions about carnivorous plants ill always be willing to help you out!

·
Registered
587 Posts
looks good, A word to the wise be careful mini ficus they don't like to be to wet. I called mine the jesus tree cuz I would mist it too much and all the leaves would fall off, then it would dry out and come back to life.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
You are also going to want to watch the temperatures with the lights on the tank it could make the tank very hot. Please check out the care sheets for recommended temperature ranges for many of the common species.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
those lights arent very hot.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Those lights do get hot, especially in the fixtures they are in. They probaly will be fine, though, with nothing extra needed.
Honestly, I would take the cork out completely if you aren't going to do a full background. The Riccia will spread well with the lighting as long as you mist it well. Another bit of advice- Be careful not to get the fly dust on the Riccia- It will kill it quickly:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Isn't 10 gallon small for 2 auratus? I keep 1 froglet in a 10 gallon.
Anyway they love leaflitter so you can move half of the ricca to fill in gaps and cover the other half with leaflitter.
Oh please.... are you the type that uses a 75gallon to house a single pair of azureus?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok, so here is an update. this is all the cork i could get my hands on for a background, so it will have to do. The final things i will add are gonna be a piece of wood and a bromeliad or two. The new plant on the left is a mini ficus.

Thought you guys might think these are cool, this is my other hobby! nepenthes, or tropical pitcher plants. If you have questions about carnivorous plants ill always be willing to help you out!

A black adhesive background would make everything pop with contrast and remove the distraction of looking through the back of the tank since the focus is IN the tank.

Pink and white fittonias are kinda cool too...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A black adhesive background would make everything pop with contrast and remove the distraction of looking through the back of the tank since the focus is IN the tank.
thats a great idea, were would I get something like that. Im not sure what kind of materials would be resistant to water. maybe ill just do some fern panels on the sides...

·
Registered
384 Posts
if you are going for cheap, you could use a black colored aquarium background..

it wont give much depth, but it will close it in and make the eye focus on the tank..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts