Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this fern at lowes. It was one of those $1.98 plants in the small pots. It has extremely elongated "fingers" on each "leaf" or branch or whatever you call it on a fern. It looks similar to a sheffilera (i dont know how to spell that!) only with much longer and narrower leaves.

Anyway, I started noticing little plants in my tank, then they started to grow longer leaves to announce their parentage. My $2 lowes fern is now about two feet tall and has about 50 to 60 little ferns scattered about its base and sparsely around the rest of the tank.

This is great and interesting, but now I have a small issue. I have ferns everywhere! I'm going to start giving them away soon. Has anyone else had a prolific fern or does this happen often? I have not done my research as to the fern life cycle, but there is only one of those ferns in there. I know they drop spores, then form some kind of little plant which eventually spawns the fern itself. How long is the life cycle of the ferna nd how long does it take for one to drop spores and have them grow? Does anyone want any?

ps. if someone can help me post a picture on this forum, I can get one

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yes, some ferns grow stupid fast. I had a maidenhair in my temp tank for about 2 weeks and it doubled in size. i just started clipping the fronds with scissors to thin it out. Most ferns will put out a "stem" or shoot and the "leaves" will uncurl from the stem once it gets tall enough.

If you want to post pictures for free, use photobucket.com. thats what i do =)

·
Registered
545 Posts
To post a picture you go .
without the . in them. It's ez once you do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts