Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got some of my pictures up on photobucket. They're cell phone pictures but not too bad. Tonight I'll post some of them. 6 month old orange terribilis and trio of yellow belly pumilio. Tomorrow I'll post my rack and other frogs including some really good Saposoa Bassleri shots of them settling in for the night on a big potho leaf. Pumilio tank was just re-done. I don't put too much time into tank design but I like this one. Simple but effective. Needs more broms that's all and it's finished.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. The orange terribilis came out kind of bland. They're from Sean Stewart and gorgeous bright orange. My sister in law took collection pictures that are really awesome...but I can't post them because her kodak account owns them. Only facebook friends could view them. So I figured I'd take some pictures tonight before the lights go out. I had the pumilio up for trade or sale, but since putting them in this new set-up they've been much more bold and active. The group is 1.2 but will be 1.1 as soon as I ship the spare female to Sean Stewart. Hoping that after I add more broms and mist some more I'll have some more active breeding. Male calls all the time. He's the little guy behind the brom and the two females are inside settling in for the night. They're great frogs, I was just hoping to grab a pair of a red pumilio since I only want one pumilio locale in my collection. We'll see. Either way they're a year old and fun to take pictures of right now! I really hate getting rid of a frog like this and giving up on breeding. 12 months old is too young to expect anything really so if I do keep them I have a lot to look forward to.

Pictures of Leucs, Azureus, Olemarie tincs, Tarapoto imitators (and my favorite tank I actually put work into that they're in), plus Vittatus, some froglet and tad pictures.

I haven't shared any of my frogs on here since getting back into the hobby last year. Only local friends have seen it. It's just getting up and going to the point where I'm proud to post pictures. My tank upgrades are going good too. I don't want any tanks that don't open in the front so vert conversions and acrylic customs only. Need to keep things as simple as possible with a newborn baby at home :D:D

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The terribilis tank isn't planted crazy...it was just something I grabbed for $2 and threw in the back. Home depot sells them as house plants lol Honestly, once it gets too big I'll probably toss it. It was withering before it bounced back a little with watering, then I tossed it in.

I've seen massive ones myself. I didn't know if anyone used them in their vivariums but figured why not lol I need to place a plant order soon though.

Is the sap toxic? I heard it might be. I think I'll hit up black jungle this week. I have another 20 vert conversion to set-up next week.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I share that sentiment minus the baby...nice set-up.

I haven't shared any of my frogs on here since getting back into the hobby last year. Only local friends have seen it. It's just getting up and going to the point where I'm proud to post pictures. My tank upgrades are going good too. I don't want any tanks that don't open in the front so vert conversions and acrylic customs only. Need to keep things as simple as possible with a newborn baby at home :D:D

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. Once my fiance wakes up I'll have her send me the other pictures. I also have pictures of my rack all in one shot. It's starting to look like I know what I'm doing over here lol Back in the day I used to have tanks everywhere with no real focus to my collection. I'm much more obsessive these days lol

Newborn baby is the best thing that ever happened to me. Everyone told me I should sell my frogs to make it easier on myself. So far they're wrong and it hasn't been hard at all. I'm just as strict as ever but try not to stress about feeding first thing in the morning any or checking on everything constantly when I'm home bored. I let the frogs take care of themselves and husbandry time is easily found.

·
Registered
725 Posts
ive heard that crotons' sap is poisonous from a couple reliable sources. Personally i would take it out just to be safe. Here is a link to a site i found on poisonous house plants
Poisonous House Plants - Croton

Hope that helps!

Ryan

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Looks like a good collection "re-start". What's next?

Richard. (BTW, I think Crotons need a LOT of sunlight, so probably aren't the best candidates for the vivarium...Pretty, though).

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New pictures coming once they upload to my photoshop. Some nice pictures of my Bassleri, which used to be hard to capture on camera but have since started to become way more bold and active. Much larger than when I bought them.
Also, good pictures of my azureus pair courting, my leucs that were dime sized a in late November and are now nearly adult size. Also, I took pictures of my rack and some froglets morphing. Next round after this will be my vittatus, tarapoto imitators, a single auratus that's my fiances frog, and maybe even some freshly morphed froglets if I can decent pictures.

Kind of fun posting pictures once in a while.

Stay tuned soon!
D

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like a good collection "re-start". What's next?

Richard. (BTW, I think Crotons need a LOT of sunlight, so probably aren't the best candidates for the vivarium...Pretty, though).
Ya I already knew it got big....but it's one of those $2 home depot plants that looks cool and is $2. I sometimes go there to buy a lot of filler plants for my tanks and take cuttings from exotic stuff as they get going. I'm sure everyone has a method.

What's next? Maybe a group of 5 F1 bi-colors I might trade for...depending on what else pops up. I sort of want every phyllobates speices. I also have some frogs on hold locally from two buddies on here.

After that..who knows? A lot of my frogs are approaching breeding age so things will start getting fun eventually!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A. Bassleri---Saposoa. Getting big fast!

Azureus pair. Breeding a lot lately. Very big adults. Cutting back on feeding a bit lately.

Broke one of the bottom tank glass doors. Hence the black tape. New one comes in with last conversion kit Monday.

I am still upgrading but hope everyone likes it. Top of rack mostly has my eggs, tadpoles, froglets, etc. All my supplies and fruit flies are in a closet.

Thanks for looking!
:cool:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took a couple pictures tonight. My fiance owns a single frog. Had a trio but we lost two of them at the beginning. So we've had this long frog since January. It has it's own 10 gallon tank. Shy little juvi but he's out and about a few times a day hunting in the leaf litter. After his siblings died, he was put in a 2.5 gallon tank for a while. I never really got a look at him up there but I'd drop food in everyday. He was usually hiding in a film canister. The other day I brought his tank down as it was looking funky and grabbed him to move him to a ten gallon. Not only is he 5 times the size of when I last saw him, but his colors are just gorgeous. I forgot how beautiful a species auratus can be. Bad picture doesn't show his bright colors. No matter how jaded of a hobbyist I become, I'll never forget that!

And here is just a close-up of a 10 gallon vert that houses 2 Tarapoto imitators. Got them in a trade for a spare female pumilio I had. I loved the morph and figured since I've never owned thumbnails, I'd grab these two when he shipped my 4 orange terribilis. I was more than happy with these guys. They're a ton of fun to watch! Since I got 2, I figured I might have to grab another sexed frog if I get 2 of the same. Today we were watching tv and muted it because I was hearing some light frog calling. Short intervals. One of the imitators was calling. Hope I got lucky and have a pair! I'll snap some pictures of them tomorrow.

This vert has been up and running since November but has just been maturing with no frogs. Moss has started to pop up in little spots on the wood so that's promising. The creeping figs I planted on the bottom have made their way to the top. Also, there's a dark green leaf plant that's growing up now. I forget the name of plant, but I have a big one in another tank and I love the leaves on it. I saw the name the other day but can't remember. I got the cutting for the big one I have at the last frog meeting in January. I have no clue how it got in there but it's rooted on the background lol My brain is mush right now so It might of got in there if I threw something in there from the frog meeting that had a it connected to another plant and I didn't realize it. Not complaining. It started with more broms but 3 of them died. The ones in there now are very established now. Hopefully the moss spores are all over the wood and will get going more and more. I'd love to see the background covered. I also had thrown moss pieces in there that Sports_doc gave me. They're still alive and seem to have spawned new moss establishing itself around it.

Anyway onto the pictures. Not a work of art but I like this tank. A lot of microfauna too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts