Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have these two pitchers and one sundew that my son loves. I'd like to put them in a viv - are they appropriate? Thanks in advance!!

i have this weird and small pitcher which i love. I think its an american one but not sure. I think american ones aren't so great in the viv:

this is a big pitcher we got in a plastic box at lowes :

And this one is a little sundew i got at this cool local greenhouse I will be visiting this weekend to talk viv appropriate plants (they have a bunch of tilliasandias)

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Some people do keep Nepenthes pitcher plants in the frog terrariums but keep in mind that they can grow huge (depending on type/hybrid) and totally overgrow a tank.

The second pitcher plant is probably a Sarracenia hybrid and needs a dormancy period so they are not ideal for use in the vivaria unless you can give them the winter down time that they need.

The D. adela likes lower light and high humidity conditions and would do fine in a terrarium but they can be invasive (as they readily propegate from the roots) and do not tolerate being trampled. If you look up the ethnobotanical uses of Drosera, you can see that they contain/excrete a number of compounds which can cause issues in sensitive people/organisms.

Ed

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some people do keep Nepenthes pitcher plants in the frog terrariums but keep in mind that they can grow huge (depending on type/hybrid) and totally overgrow a tank.

The second pitcher plant is probably a Sarracenia hybrid and needs a dormancy period so they are not ideal for use in the vivaria unless you can give them the winter down time that they need.

The D. adela likes lower light and high humidity conditions and would do fine in a terrarium but they can be invasive (as they readily propegate from the roots) and do not tolerate being trampled. If you look up the ethnobotanical uses of Drosera, you can see that they contain/excrete a number of compounds which can cause issues in sensitive people/organisms.

Ed
Thank you Ed!!!

that nepenthes is probably not safe for juvenile mourning geckos, i think? You agree?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try Nepenthes bellii if you can find one.

I will - we are limited here but I am going to seattle next week and I'll see what i can find there. And the shipping window is CLOSING RAPIDLY!

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Hi Beth,

If you and yours are really interested in carnivorous plants I suggest checking out the ICPS website for membership details as you will have access to a lot of varieties of seeds (see International Carnivorous Plant Society Homepage) and if you headed down into Seattle, I seriously suggest swinging by Cascade Carnivores and checking out thier selection..

Given your location you may want to check out butterworts, and bladderworts, and sundews as they do very well indoors year round.

Ed

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you ed!! I will check out both!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts