Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two baby American bullfrogs at the moment, they are in a 40 gallon tank. Half water and half land. I feed them small crickets at the moment by putting some in the tank and letting them eat whenever. Avocado my biggest one sits funny, and even is slower than usual.. he looks kinda bloated. Am I over feeding? Is something wrong. Please help..Or is this normal? (First time owning them)

·
Registered
59 Posts
How large of a tank are they in? How often are you cleaning their water? What about the land, what kind of substrate are you using? Totally could just sit in funky positions, but how do they look when they move to hunt? If its very worrisome, then I would find a local exotic vet.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Bullfrogs need good lighting to have a quality of life.

As adults they have been known to mutilate their eyes and snouts in glass aquaria because of their weight and strength and do better in atrium style or outdoor contained pond enclosures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How large of a tank are they in? How often are you cleaning their water? What about the land, what kind of substrate are you using? Totally could just sit in funky positions, but how do they look when they move to hunt? If its very worrisome, then I would find a local exotic vet.
40 gallon tank, Coco Fiber soil, I clean their water once every 2 weeks (but spot clean it whenever I see dead crickets in it or something), they hunt more at night but I know they are eating due to crickets being gone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bullfrogs need good lighting to have a quality of life.

As adults they have been known to mutilate their eyes and snouts in glass aquaria because of their weight and strength and do better in atrium style or outdoor contained pond enclosures.
I have a light that is meant for amphibians and reptiles, it goes off at night for a night cycle and is on during the day, they are close to my window as well for natural lighting as well.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Aquatic frogs need efficient biological filtration or they are prone to bacterial infection. I would suggest using an air stone to establish beneficial bacteria or a submersible filter. And as other people mentioned, use Repashy Calcium ICB plus for Vitamin A, D3, and E in the proper ratios.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Coco isnt a good substrate for agressively cue triggered large mouthed predatory frogs.

Look at any photograph insitu and see if you observe Bullfrogs basking or just positioned in repose on anything that remotely resembles ground up coconut husk. Its not really your fault though. Its the industry. They appropriated coco from the botanical industry because they knew they could make it sell. Its like the 70s corn cob bedding of the 2000s.

Your frogs need an ARAV veterinarian if they are presenting as you stated.

Ask he or she about the importance of ultraviolet light for these rapidly growing, heavily skeletalized anurans.

They love sunning themselves.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
There are different types of uv inclusive bulbs and also in some situations like with robust ranids that bask, it needs to be carefully supported with some controlled radiant incandescant heat.

Rather than interrogate you to what brand and type, do they sit under it? And what is the temperature there?

The pics are not clear but a faint gestalt shows non thriving baby bullies.

I have a paradoxed perspective on these Magnificent yet terribly invasive frogs.

They require alot of dedication, space and commitment for many many years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are different types of uv inclusive bulbs and also in some situations like with robust ranids that bask, it needs to be carefully supported with some controlled radiant incandescant heat.

Rather than interrogate you to what brand and type, do they sit under it? And what is the temperature there?

The pics are not clear but a faint gestalt shows non thriving baby bullies.

I have a paradoxed perspective on these Magnificent yet terribly invasive frogs.

They require alot of dedication, space and commitment for many many years.
They do sit under it, and I did lots of research for months before even getting one. I quarantined the frog that had the big stomach to watch him over the next few days, many people around me are saying it could be he ate to many crickets or something. Do you think it’s possible?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They do sit under it, and I did lots of research for months before even getting one. I quarantined the frog that had the big stomach to watch him over the next few days, many people around me are saying it could be he ate to many crickets or something. Do you think it’s possible?
Also their temperature is 75* sometimes goes up some. And the humidity is always around 70 or more, the lowest I have seen it is around 65 but that was when I first got them.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
Bullfrogs are built to eat Big in their natural state.

Perhaps full view front and from above photos of enclosure can help.

Most things that go wrong are environmentally influenced.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
These guys are tough. It would be great for them to see a vet that knows frogs but perhaps some fine tuning will turn them around.

I really like Bullfrogs. In and of themselves they are awesome in the original sense of the word.

I cant tell if there are some cloudiness in the eye or if they have poor bone density from these photos its murky.

Here is a baby bully format that has worked well:

Basking area in good range of Zoomed UVB tube. No further than 12". No index less than 5.0.

Dimmable incandescent bulb in close association with tube. Over same banking up zone. Working together. The radiant light doesnt necessarily need to be On for the full day. A couple mid day hours can suffice if the ambient hovers in mid 70s. The frogs need to be able to dry off at will.

Cavernous shelter on both sides.

Clean water and a siphon apparatus - no matter how good your filter is. You need the power to make wholesale changes, similar to turtle husbandry.

Forceps. It will help with your water hygiene and forge a more thorough monitor of what they are eating and you will come to parse your frogs psychology in a way that surpasses tossing crickets in the tank.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
You can design a brilliant rearing tank for young Bullies using Cork Bark, a couple of those green platforms, and some good slate or marble pieces alone; without having to go to extreme build efforts for animals that will need a different situation by next year. Good lighting will support hornwort and java moss with no substrate or planting necessary. Its for tactile cover and security. Its not a water garden of variety. Its for the frogs.

Bullfrogs eat a wide variety of food types. These include vertebrate forms. Even as juveniles.

Forcep feeding these guys is good management & monitor.

Forcep feeding will not interfere or alter free-range feeding behavior with these frogs.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Lots of good advice from @Kmc above.

In addition, you may want to add an internal water filter, as also previously suggested, (even something that just moves the water around) and add some floating and fast growing plants, like duckweed & javamoss, to help clean the water. You may not need to do water changes as frequently in this manner and leave more beneficial bacteria to do the heavy lifting in regards to cleaning the water. Make sure you are dechlorinating the water with something like Seachem Prime every time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts