Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a pair of green and bronze auratus and i have noticed that they have sort of a personality. For example my larger one, when i open the tank just sits right under when i open the tank and waits for fruit flies and my smaller of the two he will go whereever the big one goes.

Does anyone else see a personality in there frogs?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
YUP! Mine act very different from eachother. One is VERY bold, while the other hides alot of the time. Among other things but thats the most noticeable.

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah,
You will find that some frogs even know you by your looks. I have had people come over and look at the frogs and some would hide because the person looking at them wasn't me. I wish I could remember the show I watched and what channel it was on but this one lab had their azureus trained by a dog whistle that when they heard that it was feeding time. Makes me sad when I see a show like that and just sit there in awe and forget to tape it.
Mark W.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark,

I saw that show as well. National Geographic has aired it a few times in the pst but I simply forgot the name of the show it was on. Very neat stuff....they were some of the fattest azureus I have seen!

-Bill J.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have seen that show also. I thought that I saw it on animal planet too. They would even get the frogs to go into little chambers by blowing a whistle. Then they would individually weigh them and then put flies into the chambers that they were in as a reward. Pretty amazing what you can teach wild creatures.

-Shelley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed that of my four auratus only one of them is really shy. two are slightly bolder, and the other one comes to the side of the tank when i come near it and has even zapped at my finger with his tongue. crazy how personality changes from frog to frog.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
s

Of course different types of frogs have different levels of boldness, but you are entirely accurate at your observation of their personalities.

I have 6 leucs in a large tank and love to watch their interactions. I have 2 large females that dont care who is watching or walking near the tank, they are out hopping and zapping flies all day long. No Fear. The one male is not too shy once he's out in the open, but he hides about 60% of the time. When he's in his hiding spot he looks at you and if you get too close, he backs up and tries to make himself smaller. The two medium sized leucs are out 50% of the time and are only shy if you move fast or make a loud noise. The little one (40% size of the females) just hangs out on a fig leaf about an inch above the ground and zaps flies from there. It comes out every once in a while and is bold, but when one of the large females ( a bohemoth to it!) comes near, it hops off to its little hiding spot on the leaf where it feels larger I guess.

i'M one of those people that think every animal has a soul, and to me, this is proof. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts