Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walked in this morning to see my 4 auratus bouncing off the walls. They were climbing all over the background, trampling plants, climbing glass....they destroyed a nice selaginella bridge that had crawled across the creek. Too bad, but I enjoyed seeing them so active. They are usually not very active and only 2 of the 4 are seen most times. Any ideas what could be the deal? Nothing has really changed in the environment.

There was a storm yesterday evening though, and I left some of the doors open. Might that do it?

Thanks,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Matt,

The pressure from the storm may have been a factor. I have seen some of my frogs become more active during rainy weather...especially storms.

On another note, how are your vents and cobalts doing? Take care man!

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bill,

I thought it might be so....

The vents and tincs are doing great. The tincs have actually doubled in size since they arrived. The vents have settled in, but have proven to be more shy than I had thought. Apparently the bold behavior in the beginning was mostly exploration. They now have there favorite haunts in the tank and like to stay there.

btw, congrats on your azureus eggs. I am sure you will get some good clutched very soon....if not already. I hope so anyway, for selfish reasons :wink:

Take care,

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hey Bill, any more details on the weather factor? Ive had a mantella die on me for no reason at all, but there was a big storm the day before.

M.N

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moe,

When a storm front moves in it brings with it a great ammount of moisture which is very compressed...hence barometric pressure. I live in an area that is very humid during the summer and early fall months and 90-100 degree weather is very common (feels like 120 with the humidity being so high). This time of the year we move out of a rather dry, cold winter and into a nice warm spring...the humidity dramatically increases in a very small time frame which results in alot of my frogs becoming much more active.

As for you mantella...I have no idea actually. I haven't had the pleasure of working with mantellas (I'm in a dendro fling) so can;t really speak on their husbandry. Maybe someone will have an answer.
Sorry to hear about the loss :(

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matt,

Very happy to see that they are doing good. My vents are relatively the same...they hide alot but will come out (though still flighty) if kept wet enough.

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on this note, observed some really wierd behavior from my frogs last night too. They were both in different parts of the tank, but just sat there motionless facing the exact same direction! they were like little compasses. I went to feed them and they barely twitched, just sat there and let the flys climb all over them. you think that this could be the storm as well?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I agree with Bill, in that the barometric pressure plays a major role in the activity levels of many frogs. This is one major reason of why I'm building a screen tank for my P. sauvagei so when it rains or "feels like it's gonna rain" (pressure changes) then I can put them outside for a natural rain chamber. There are some species of anurans which won't breed in a classic rain chamber, because the pressure changes don't occur, just the high humidty levels and rains.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts